Post-nutrient addition - no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
Hi,
I added my second batch of nutrients as explained in the FAQ and mixed. I got quite a bit of foaming and maybe 1/4 of a gallon spilled out. 12 hours later, I have no airlock activity. Is D-47 yeast top fermenting? Could I have decimated the yeast population?
Thanks for any help.

First let's get some info - recipe, brand name of nutrients added, where is the fermentation taking place (plastic pail, glass carboy, etc.), ambient area temperature? Without this information it's difficult to know how to reply - always good to include this information unless your post is in an existing topic that already contains it...

That being said, it is typical when staged nutrients are added that there is a reduction in air lock activity once the initial bursts of CO2 release have subsided. The recovery time (to active airlock activty) varies.

I'm sure you did not expect this reaction, but barring any detrimental factors not yet known, your visible signs of fermentation will return. ;)

In fact, it just happened to me 15 min ago when I aggressively stirred the must on a 3-gallon experimental batch... :)

PS, did you not see this note in the FAQ?
Be CAREFUL when you add these nutrients as you can get quite a bit of foaming...

Hi, thanks for your help. Here's the recipe:

15 lbs of Honey
4 gallons of purified water (using a charcoal filter)
2 packets of D-47 yeast dissolved into go-ferm and 104 water

2 tsp of Superfood, 1 tsp of DAP at innoculation
1 tsp of superfood, 1 tsp of DAP at active fermentation.

Guess I added a little too much DAP at active. I am using a 6 gallon glass carboy for the primary fermentation at 64 F.

Lol. I read the warning. I used my drill and wine degasser. I figured that if I went really, really slow, it should be fine. Oh boy was that entertaining. The dogs were sure happy. They report no significant off-flavors. I might name this one "Dog's Due Raspberry Mead" if I pull it off.

Em, the airlock was clogged with mead residue. Thankfully it did not explode. Flame away ;)

Back