Hop Splash ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dloucks

Reaction score
I've not seen this anywhere, however I'm sure it's been covered at some point, my search didn't yield anything usable.

During the hot break, when the wort foams up, alot of the hops (pellets anyway) seem to stick to the sides of the boiling vessel. I typically scrap them back down into the wort to make sure I'm getting as much hop utilization as I can, as I assume what I am seeing is hop residue that needs to be down in the wort.

But it did get me to thinking today, what everyone else does?

I have actually taken to the handy dandy hop steeping bag. It makes life soooooo much easier (especially when it comes to transferring your cooled wort through a filtered funnel into the primary)

Much less scraping of the screen to allow the wort to pass. (And you just end up with a nice road apple sized lump of hops (In the bag) :)
-Me

does the bag work at containing the pellet hops, i would think they would filter through.

I've not used a bag...just scape the hop bits down and you'll have to do this more than once as evaporation takes place. You're not going to miss out on too much, but you paid for them, might as well use them.

I just splash a bit of wort up the side of the pot to wash the hops back into the wort. I haven't used a bag since I've had a very easy time straining whole hops, but I use ale pails so I'd think it could be harder to strain into a carboy. When I use pellet hops they all settle out and are left behind when I go to secondary.

whole hops are much, much easier to deal with in this respect. i think you would need a rather massive bag to hold 4oz of whole hops and get good utilization, no? of course, i usually only use maybe two, but they swell up huge like. i have about 2" deep on the bottom of my pot when the wort is transferred to the fermenter.

I've thought abotu using a bag, but everyone who chimes in on this says that it take smore hops to get the same amount of utilization, so I just use pellets and scrape the gunk form the sides back down into the kettle.

Back