Stepping up wild cider yeast for a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well my friend and I took a huge leap of faith with last years cider supply and fermented a wild batch. Midwest and Northern were out of english cider strain. So we decided to say screw it; they never used to inoculate in the old times. Considering it was 180 gallons worth of cider the risk paid off. Have a good supply of cider for the year.

Anyway....
Now that it is below zero and the garage brewery is at a stand still, I decided to do a step up culture from the bottled cider and eventually make a beer. I do know that there are other organisms in the cider other than yeast but this is an experiment.

Made the first step up today. Depending on taste results of DME through the process will further my options.

Hopefully everything goes great and I will post further results.

My step up is currently at 500ml. the yeast is wispy if that is a word but settles moderately fast. I don't have a stir plate yet and by swishing it around most of the yeast settles within the hour. it doesn't clump up at all like most yeast that i have dealt with.

I imagine there is more than one strain of yeast battling for a job. so the joining of friends is limited.

Off of 500ml i can't get a true smell of the co2 released. a couple of more 500ml to build the army and i will be going for a 3/4 gallon.

after that depending how the DME liquid "beer" tastes i will proceed to a full batch of Blonde Ale

[beer"

p

Sweet. Good luck with it.
Got a picture?

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

sorry to say that the beer wort with wild yeast from apples did not go so well. The yeast that fermented the apple juice was far more accustomed to the simple sugars of the raw apples we used for cider than the complex sugars of malt or dry malt extract.
there were some unscientific results. the wild yeast consumed a very small amount of starter wort. that is all i can say.

Results or not i will keep trying to harvest a fruit yeast that will devour barley sugar.

Back