What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pardon my aging wrinkling face. I have partied way too hard. another of my Horehound Belgian Strong.

1223122101.jpg

Well, just passed 1000 posts so I thought I'd drink something nice.
Clown Shoes Genghis Pecan. Very good.

image-3175544155.jpg

Oh and got my two WLP001 starters going for Tuesday. Going to try to get a double brew day in.

A bomber of my punkin ale followed by my milk stout. Now trying to decide between the punkin or milk stout before bed...

WesleyS said:
Well, just passed 1000 posts so I thought I'd drink something nice.
Clown Shoes Genghis Pecan. Very good.

Oh and got my two WLP001 starters going for Tuesday. Going to try to get a double brew day in.

Niiiice. I noticed my beers got way better after 1000 posts. I figure after 10000 I'll pretty much be a beer god, since more posts means a better brewer. I've brewed the last three days in a row, first an IPA, then a milk stout, and now a Westy 12 clone. I'll probably do one more IPA before going back to work.

Billy-Klubb said:
pardon my aging wrinkling face. I have partied way too hard. another of my Horehound Belgian Strong.

That actually sounds and looks pretty dang good. What's the recipe?

Qhrumphf said:
When it comes to drinking there's never a bad time. When it comes to keeping the fermentation warm enough, that's another story ;)

Aquarium heater in an ice chest inside? Should be able to hit in the 80's... I don't know though, my last Saison I did I fermented at 100 degrees and it was frikkin awesome.

That actually sounds and looks pretty dang good. What's the recipe?

this was one of my last extract batches.

Hellhound Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 5/19/2012
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Billy Klubb, Bobby Klubb
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: New Brew Pot
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 22.21 %
6.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 44.43 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L (15.0 SRM) Grain 7.44 %
1.00 lb Caramunich III (73.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] (60 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Saaz [3.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 7.41 %
1.00 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 7.41 %
0.50 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 3.70 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.092 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.091 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.24 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.49 %
Bitterness: 14.7 IBU Calories: 417 cal/pint
Est Color: 20.5 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: -
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: -
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: -

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Mash Notes: -
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

the amber candi sugar is actually 1lb. horehound candy.
added the brown sugar at transfer on 6-17-12 @ 1.013
bottled 48 bottles on 7-15-12 @ 1.011
Created with BeerSmith

Aquarium heater in an ice chest inside? Should be able to hit in the 80's... I don't know though, my last Saison I did I fermented at 100 degrees and it was frikkin awesome.

I've been using a heated blanket for them in the past, and keeping it 80-85ish. Works perfectly when it's about 10 degrees warmer in here than it is now. The ambient now is perfect for just about everything, except for Saisons ;) I'll probably brew it up again in April or May.

why the flying F can't I find Size 7 IPA? I wanna throw my fake teeth at the lot of you! but give them back. I like staerk. or staek. or skeak. is it steak? hey! bno squiggly red line!

Dude, super limited distro. Four Firkins and the Excelsior Liquor Barrel, Surdyk's, maybe a few others. Pretty much in the SLP/west 'burbs. I'm in northeast and can only find it sometimes at Surdyk's up here. Make a trip up to the cities, Midwest, 4Fs and that Liquor Barrel are all right off of Hwy 100 and 36th/Excelsior Blvd exit.

Dude, super limited distro. Four Firkins and the Excelsior Liquor Barrel, Surdyk's, maybe a few others. Pretty much in the SLP/west 'burbs. I'm in northeast and can only find it sometimes at Surdyk's up here. Make a trip up to the cities, Midwest, 4Fs and that Liquor Barrel are all right off of Hwy 100 and 36th/Excelsior Blvd exit.
brutha, next time we're in the cities (next FG-ing month) I'm hunting that weedless bastard down & demolishing its' ash with all forms of fury. I severly miss the amazimg the variety of living in a big cvity. I may be buzzed. a little.

Really enjoying my iipa, a Green Flash West Coast IPA clone (never had the original tho). Damn this is good! Nothing beats a fresh, super hoppy brew.

I may be buzzed. a little.

Never a bad thing. :D Definitely check out ST next time you're up here, their beers are great. If you haven't been before, Four Firkins is like beer Mecca, highly recommend a trip there. If it's available in MN, they have it and sell singles of everything they have. Let me know before you come up, maybe we can meet for a pint.

Dark Truth - and a second time for good measure. My favorite of the Smokestack Series that I've had.

bottlebomber said:
Niiiice. I noticed my beers got way better after 1000 posts. I figure after 10000 I'll pretty much be a beer god, since more posts means a better brewer. I've brewed the last three days in a row, first an IPA, then a milk stout, and now a Westy 12 clone. I'll probably do one more IPA before going back to work.

Nice. I would love to do that much brewing. I'll have to wait till I build my brewshed to do that, though. As far as the post count goes, most of mine have been squandered on useless things that in no way have helped anybody or myself to be a better brewer. :)
But it does help when you give advice if your post count is high.

Just came from the local brew pub. You know you're in Maine when your drinking Smelt Camp Strong Ale.

Also, I don't know if this happens to others, but after two 20 oz pints and they bring out all that bar food you ordered; wings, cheese fries, beer battered chicken fingers. I just go into this euphoric, dazed eating frenzy where the world around me just goes away and I am one with the chicken wing. I don't come up for air until all that's left is celery and kale leaves. Oh bar food, you're a evil temptress.

"I never smelt a smelt like that smelt smelt"- Groucho Marx

Just came from the local brew pub. You know you're in Maine when your drinking Smelt Camp Strong Ale.

Also, I don't know if this happens to others, but after two 20 oz pints and they bring out all that bar food you ordered; wings, cheese fries, beer battered chicken fingers. I just go into this euphoric, dazed eating frenzy where the world around me just goes away and I am one with the chicken wing. I don't come up for air until all that's left is celery and kale leaves. Oh bar food, you're a evil temptress.

"I never smelt a smelt like that smelt smelt"- Groucho Marx

Where in Maine? I'm in Bangor

Christmas present wrapping called for the Delirium Noël. After the bottle was gone, I didn't even care that I couldn't remember what gift was what... they'll all get unwrapped anyway right?!?

Merry Pink Elephants, y'all!!

highgravitybacon said:
Ass. Hops + that awful pepper yeast they use makes an unpleasant beer.

Favorite beer - Pabst?

I had an Allagash Tripel earlier that I thought was just ok, haven't had a domestic Tripel I've really enjoyed so far. Now I'm having Crispin Single Strength Reserve. Good stuff.

closing out the night with a chocolate rasberry brown from lost coast brewery.
and dam smooth indeed.......well, might need a tangerine dream cider for a real nitecap/9.5%.......may the spirits be with you this season!

Right now? Coffee.

Last night, had a Stella Artois. It's not my favorite, but at least my dad has moved beyond Coors Light!

Later on, had an Atwater Conniption Fit DIPA. It's the first DIPA I've tried, and I have to say, I liked this one pretty well. Based on scanning various review sites, I guess it's not typical of the style, but I think it's more up my alley. For an 8% beer, it was very light and drinkable, and the malt/hops balance was pretty close to center for an IPA---though still strongly in grapefruit land. I'm calling this one research for what to do with the half pound each of Cascade and Simcoe that I bought on a whim.

Favorite beer - Pabst?

I had an Allagash Tripel earlier that I thought was just ok, haven't had a domestic Tripel I've really enjoyed so far. Now I'm having Crispin Single Strength Reserve. Good stuff.

Pbr is a decent macro lager. Has a nice spicy aroma hop thing. I'd drink it over the New Belgium belgo ipa.

Back