Stainless Steel Single Tier Stand Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! This may just inspire me to try my hand at stainless welding. Any progress on the stand? I would love to see how it comes out when polished.

Looks great! This may just inspire me to try my hand at stainless welding. Any progress on the stand? I would love to see how it comes out when polished.

Thank you, the stainless welding was really no more difficult than regular steel. You should give it a try.

As far as progress, once I got the stand functional I started brewing on it every weekend with the intention of polishing it after a few batches were in the fermenters...then summer hit and it's been over 100 in Oklahoma every day since the second week of June. As soon as the heat breaks and my garage is below 105 I am going to get to polishing!!

What size boilermakers are you using?

They're 15's. And yes, I brew 10 gallon batches all the time...no boilovers.

I have finally, slowly, made some progress on polishing this beast. Stainless is a MF'er to polish... I''ll try to get some new photos going this weekend once I get everything knocked down to 220 grit. AFter that I'll take it to 400 grit before going to black compound thru the finer compounds. Hopefully it will look cool.

Any issues with burner performance with your pots sitting directly on the top frame? Some have mentioned problems / concerns with the pot blocking the path for burner exhaust / airflow. Some have added 1/2" stand-offs to solve this. I'm in the process of designing my system and would prefer not to have to do this so I'm curious how you're finding your system to work.

Thanks! :mug:

Any issues with burner performance with your pots sitting directly on the top frame? Some have mentioned problems / concerns with the pot blocking the path for burner exhaust / airflow. Some have added 1/2" stand-offs to solve this. I'm in the process of designing my system and would prefer not to have to do this so I'm curious how you're finding your system to work.

Thanks! :mug:

I havent had any problems with this. Banjo burners are insane, you can only turn them up part of the way before the flame on a 15g kettle is blasting up the sides anyway.....I can run them just as high as I could in the original Bayou Classic cooking stand that one of them came in.

I am planning on adding wind-shields around the burners and I'm wondering if that will restrict them too much...but I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

By the way, for anyone thinking about building a stand like this (or like any of the other cool designs on this site), just do it. It makes your brewday so much easier and your process so much more repeatable. My stand is taken apart in the garage right now while I polish the frame. I thought about brewing this weekend anyway with the old cooler, camp burner, etc......yeah screw that. I'll wait until I have this back together. SO much easier.

by the way, for anyone thinking about building a stand like this (or like any of the other cool designs on this site), just do it. It makes your brewday so much easier and your process so much more repeatable. My stand is taken apart in the garage right now while i polish the frame. I thought about brewing this weekend anyway with the old cooler, camp burner, etc......yeah screw that. I'll wait until i have this back together. So much easier.

+1

I have finally, slowly, made some progress on polishing this beast. Stainless is a MF'er to polish... I''ll try to get some new photos going this weekend once I get everything knocked down to 220 grit. AFter that I'll take it to 400 grit before going to black compound thru the finer compounds. Hopefully it will look cool.
Any progess on polishing? Was the 220 grit on a grinder?

Could you have used smaller ss stock? It looks really beefy. I like your design, but need to be frugal. I will be using three converted sankeys but would like to be able to use the same stand if I decide to increase my boiling volume to 1bbl.

I like the look of square tubes. Don't know much about ss yet...

Could you have used smaller ss stock? It looks really beefy. I like your design, but need to be frugal. I will be using three converted sankeys but would like to be able to use the same stand if I decide to increase my boiling volume to 1bbl.

You're not going to be able to use the same stand for 10 gallon batches and 1 barrel batches. The kettle differences are huge.

You can use smaller tubing, but the 2" tubing gives you a nice footprint for holding the kettles.

Great build man! It looks professional grade, such a wonderful job welding and grinding you did!

Soon I have to build a similar stand - just two banjo burners - and this thread is going among the bookmarked right now!
Can you please show some images of your pump mounts?

Thanks for sharing.

gm

Yeah you could easily used smaller stock and be fine. I'm convinced that I could park my truck on top of my stand and it'd hold no problem...it's way over engineered using the 2" stainless.

Also, I gave up on polishing the stand. I'm brewing on it virtually every weekend and the amount of time, effort, and material it took to get even a small part of the frame polished was crazy. I like it rough looking now though, has character...looks like it gets used a lot, which it does.

Great build man! It looks professional grade, such a wonderful job welding and grinding you did!

Soon I have to build a similar stand - just two banjo burners - and this thread is going among the bookmarked right now!
Can you please show some images of your pump mounts?

Thanks for sharing.

gm

Here you go. Is just a square piece of stainless stock with holes drilled to line up with the mounting bracket of the pump, welded on to the bottom of the frame. Pump mounts with regular nut/bolt.

image.jpg

Nice build Strat,

I am getting ready to start a stand and also will use 2" ss since it was free from some salvage stuff at work. I have to cut a lot of welds off and get the pieces broken down first. Your stand is exactly what I was thinking, except a bit taller to fit the kegs inside for storage and no automation except a pump switch (and another thing I have not seen anyone do... Shhhh)

I am wondering if you had dimensions of your stand? Also, will the width of a it fit sanke kegs? The pieces I have may be to short for the length of your stand, but I have enough I could weld ends together. Which wouldn't be all that bad, because my pieces are already angled on the corners.... Just cut out some depth, and add it to the length.... Hmmm... Just need to get it all out and start tinkering!

I was going to have a pro weld it, but now you got me thinking about diy welding. My brother has a good Miller welder and knowledge of cold steel, and my garage has power for one....just a bottle and wire and I'd be off running.

You got any tips for mig'ng ss, beginner to beginner? Still use the 98% argon? How about wire? Would you have done anything different for welding?

Thank you in advance,

MT

Back