Little help on equipment decision?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStyler

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a bit of a question, and I figured only brewers would be helpful here...

I'm an extract brewer, and have only 6 batches under my belt. My beer has its issues (beginners stuff) but I think they'll start coming together nicely soon enough.

For Christmas, I asked for kegging equipment, as I'm already tired of spending a lot of time bottling. Instead, I got a 10 gallon kettle. So I have a few questions - if I go with the 10 gallon kettle to do full boils I will need to buy the thermometer that screws into the kettle, certainly a wort chiller (was going to get one anyway, but would now need a bigger one...) and possibly need to get a burner/propane setup if using 2 burners on my stove can't get the approx. 6 gallons of wort to boil. All of this versus staying with my current 5 gallon kettle, getting a smaller wort chiller, and buying kegging stuff.

I'm not looking to go to all grain anytime in the next couple of years as I'm in grad school and don't have the time/space/money to spend on that big of an upgrade.

So given all of your experience and wisdom, which way do you think would be best - go down the road of using the bigger kettle with all the additional expenses (maybe partial mash???) or return the kettle and move towards putting together a kegging system?

As always, much appreciated!

If cost is your primary concern, I'd stick with the bigger pot and the related upgrades - they're pretty certain to be less expensive, in the end, than the kegging setup.

Keep in mind, doing full boils will certainly have some positive impacts on your brews - hop utilization will improve, and I know searching around HBT will name at least a couple other big improvements.

As to the upgrades you're talking about: I don't know that you'd necessarily need a "big" wort chiller for that sized batch - I've chilled a 12 gallon batch with a pretty standard sized chiller before, it just takes a few extra minutes' time. And I've had success chilling a full 5-6 gallon boil in an ice bath - maybe not the ideal setup, but it still works while you're getting everything else together.

Also, while adding a thermometer to the kettle can certainly look cool, unless you have the hole for one already drilled (or a welded fitting), you don't really need one - you can certainly get away with a floating thermometer or a simple hand-held one to check your temps while cooling.

The propane setup, however, is probably a must. This is a pretty decent time of year to find turkey fryer setups on the cheap at Walmart or Home Depot too - and such setups should also net you a decent sized aluminum pot that you can then use if you want to try a PM batch or two.

I agree. If you decide to keep the big kettle, buy a turkey fryer. I see them for next to nothing on craigslist and it's much MUCH muuuuch nicer (required even) than trying to heat that amount of water on a stove. As a bonus, I saw an instant improvement in my beer as soon as I started going with a full boil-- even the extract based ones.

I've been meaning to get a weldless sight glass / thermometer fitting in my kettle but, honestly, I do just fine without it.

Of course, kegging is muuuuch nicer than bottling, too, but can get pretty dang expensive.

I see - I guess I should have also mentioned that I live in an apartment in the city without a backyard, so the only place where I could brew and move to ferment would be up in the suburbs - which just adds a bunch more time to the whole process...

What makes kegging get so expensive? I'm thinking the kegging set from a place like Midwest Supplies for 160, fill the CO2 for 25, and I would eventually scrape together a small fridge off of CL.

2 other questions - do I need a false bottom or is that just for all grain? That's what I thought it was for... and what considerations do I need to take for a turkey fryer? Can just about any of them get 6 gallons of water boiling?

OP - if you have a electric stove (not gas) and nowhere to use a propane burner, you need a 2 burner pot. Wish I knew where my parents got theirs to do canning with - they were large and 'rectangular' Otherwise our 10 gallon pot won't really fit well on 2 burners. Without 2 burners driving 5 gallons t a boil takes a bit more power/time than the average electric stove has.

I can't find what they have.. probably something from a different time. This is 'close'
http://www.cookswarehouse.com/cookware/speciality/our-rsvp-fish-poachers.html
notice it says 'can be used over 2 burners' I have no idea the volume it does, proably not as much as a 5 gallon batch. I know the pot my parents had did almost 2 bushels of apples to apple sauce.

Hey ACBrewer - I have a gas stove, however, the 10 gallon kettle covers both burners, so I thought that might be an option. I figured since 1 burner could get 3.5 gallons boiling, 2 burners could get 5.5... but what do I know...

You'll end up saving money on ingredients if you do all grain...just a reminder. And if you have a large pot that is the most expensive piece, all you need now is like others have said a turkey fryer and a large picnic cooler with a drain close to the bottom for mashing(with a small amount of modification required). Finding a place is a problem maybe, but any garage or outdoor space will do. You can call it tailgaiting.

Oh yea almost forgot, a big-ass paddle for stirring:D

OldStyler - Well if you have a gas stove... I'm a bit jealous. I've got electric. My problem with the gas stove I used to have (before the move, and the other move and a few more moves) was that I couldn't get it low enough in temps. If anything I suspect with only 1 burner you can get the pot going, so with 2 it will just be faster.

ACBrewer - well hopefully you're right! Worse comes to worse my boil size will certainly get bigger and maybe I only top off a half gallon or so? That would still help beer quality right? Also - doesn't it mean that I no longer would use regular kit schedules? I would have to learn to modify them for the higher wort amount / lower boil gravity right? I suppose that can't be too hard...

OldStyler - at this point with a kit, it is as simple as this. Boil water, add some extract and hops. If you didn't add all the extract at the beginning, add the rest at the end.... put in bucket, if you have less than 5.5 gallons (or target volume) top off. If you have target or more.. yeast and cover. In other words, you should be fine. Actaully with a more water, you will get marginally better hops utilization... Athough as a home brewer, it is probably negligable.

Anyhow, most kits are written with the instruction figuring you have a 5 gallon pot and to avoid boil overs. If you have a 10 gallon pot, I say fill it to 5 gallons and go. BTW, if it is Aluminum I think you have to do a boil of water in it first to season it, but I'm not sure.

- if I go with the 10 gallon kettle to do full boils I will need to buy the thermometer that screws into the kettle,

No, you can still use a hand held thermometer

I'm not looking to go to all grain anytime in the next couple of years as I'm in grad school and don't have the time/space/money to spend on that big of an upgrade.

TIME: All-grain would only add the extra hour and a half it takes to heat strike water and mash your own wort.
SPACE: No more space than a 36 qt picnic cooler.
MONEY: I haven't bought extract, but from what I hear, grain is cheaper. Your biggest expense was just taken care of. The kettle.

No, you can still use a hand held thermometer

Ah, my kettle already has the valve welded in there, so if I just leave that hole open sounds like it might get kind of messy... figured the thermometer is kinda neat as well.

TIME: All-grain would only add the extra hour and a half it takes to heat strike water and mash your own wort.
SPACE: No more space than a 36 qt picnic cooler.
MONEY: I haven't bought extract, but from what I hear, grain is cheaper. Your biggest expense was just taken care of. The kettle.

I know someone recommended I look into all grain, but I don't even own a burner for this new kettle - much of the decision about this kettle has to do with initial outlays of money. Either way, I'm not confident enough in my extract brews to move to all grain even if I had the desire.

I know someone recommended I look into all grain, but I don't even own a burner for this new kettle - much of the decision about this kettle has to do with initial outlays of money. Either way, I'm not confident enough in my extract brews to move to all grain even if I had the desire.

Too each his own.

Not trying to convert you just inform you.
You're only adding the step of making your own wort instead of buying it. Put hot water in a cooler and add grain. Let it sit for an hour. Drain. Rinse. Simple.

Hey I just noticed your name "OldStyler". Cool. I'm originally from a south suburb of Chicago and I drank Old Style exclusivley until I left in 1982.

Too each his own.

Not trying to convert you just inform you.
You're only adding the step of making your own wort instead of buying it. Put hot water in a cooler and add grain. Let it sit for an hour. Drain. Rinse. Simple.

Hey I just noticed your name "OldStyler". Cool. I'm originally from a south suburb of Chicago and I drank Old Style exclusivley until I left in 1982.

I might get there one day - like you mentioned I already have the kettle... and if I decide to move to 10 gallon batches could it double as a lauter tun? I'm not terribly familiar with all grain, except that the inputs are in fact cheaper, but all of a sudden water chemistry is a factor...

You got it man! Noticed the girl in the cubs jersey - while not a cubs fan, Old Style is still legit. Not that many HBers would agree, but what can I say, I'm not above the Schlitz/PBR/OldStyles on occasion!

but all of a sudden water chemistry is a factor...

You have some misconceptions on what it takes to brew all grain. Water chemistry is not a big deal. When I first started I was pretty crazy about water adjustment. Now I use 50% RO water(you can use distilled) 50% tap water and I only adjust 2 things. I can't remember exactly what they are off the top of my head. When I get home I can post it.

Here is an interesting post from a reputable poster named Revvy about small batch brewing.

Mini mash

You have some misconceptions on what it takes to brew all grain.

No doubt. I guess I just saw all these people being worried about water chemistries and figured I wasn't going to get involved. I was thinking about doing a partial mash though since I have 2 kettles now. I'll have to find some free time and do some reading, but I imagine it can't be terribly difficult. But for now I'm just hoping that the 2 burners on the stove can get 6 gallons or so boiling... it does cover both burners.

No doubt. I guess I just saw all these people being worried about water chemistries and figured I wasn't going to get involved. I was thinking about doing a partial mash though since I have 2 kettles now. I'll have to find some free time and do some reading, but I imagine it can't be terribly difficult. But for now I'm just hoping that the 2 burners on the stove can get 6 gallons or so boiling... it does cover both burners.

Sweet. :mug:

Back