What to Buy, Gift Certificate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience plate chillers work best with a pump so unless you have a pump or are going to buy one I'd go for the immersion chiller. You could get the wort up high and use gravity but I'm not comfortable with hot liquid above my head.

I don't have a pump, but doesn't a pump help both plate and immersion if you are pumping Ice Water?

I don't have a pump, but doesn't a pump help both plate and immersion if you are pumping Ice Water?

Well, with a plate chiller the wort has to go through the plate chiller. So, you almost have to pump through it unless you have a super high drop that could gravity feed it. An immersion chiller goes into the wort, so you could pump ice water easily through it, or just use your hose.

A pump pushes the wort through the plate chiller and into your fermenter.

You can use a pump with an immersion chiller but that is to recirculate the wort back into the kettle and create a whirlpool.

Your water faucet has plenty of pressure to push water through just about anything.

Back