8 days and still fermenting! ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barside laundry

Reaction score
I made a Sierra Navada Celebration Ale clone and used 8 pounds of malt and wyeast 1056 smack pack. After 8 days at 68-72 degrees it is still chuggin along at about 1 bubble every 10 seconds. Should I be worried. The day after I pitched the yeast it was fermenting so hard that it clogged up the airlock so I took it out and just put a 1 inch vinyl hose in the carboy mouth and other end in a bucket. I santized the hose but i wonder if something got in the beer.

Thoughts, comments, commendations?

You've got a lot of malt (was this DME or LME?) and a high attenuation yeast. As the ABV rises the yeast slows down. I admit eight days is a long ferment, but give it another day or two. Now would be a good time to take a gravity & then have a homebrew.

With a lot of malt, you can expect a longer fermentation. I just did a strong Belgian wheat that went for 12 days!

i'd let it ride until you see no activity for 1-2 minutes.
i racked my amber today and it was at 66-68 for 9 days. didn't hurt a thing.....

I've done four beers now, and every one of them took longer than 8 days to totally stop fermenting. They slow down a great deal, but the earliest to stop took over two weeks. I've only just started using a secondary fermenter, but I've had to wait at least a week to even do that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though.

Back