• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ebay deal - Stainless Pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXguy

Reaction score
This guy seems to have quite a number of stainless pots in different sizes, but the one that caught my eye was an 11 Gallon Stainless pot with clad bottom for $59 + shipping. More than a few.

Seems he's also got 18 gallon pots at $99 + shipping. More than a few.

Disclaimer: Not mine & never bought from the guy. Just saw the deal. He's got other stuff up for sale, but the pots are @ 1/2 way down.

http://shop.ebay.com/canaan573/m.html

Awesome find. I only wish I new the dimensions, seems short and wide. I would hope for a tall narrow pot ala Blichmann to control evaporation.

Thank you for providing those dimensions!

What does everyone else think about evaporation should I be concerned or is this too good of deal and evaporation is a negligible factor?

More boil off means you can sparge more. To a point of course. But think how another half gallon or more would be nice on those big beers. You would get more sugar from your grain.

I just bought one. At $120 with shipping, I am sure I can find a job for it. I almost bought three.

I just bought 3. These are not going to last long. Now I am going to have to sell my 15 gallon brew kettle, HLT, and 60qt Ice cube Mash tun.

For those of you who bought these pots. What kind of condition were they in? Just received an 18 gallon and its beat to crap. Two big dents near the bottom of the pot. Handle was broken completely off of the lid. Sent an e-mail to the seller, now waiting their reply.

That sucks! Was it damaged in transit? or did he ship it that way? I seem to recall his description said these were "like new", but out of the original packaging...

I just bought the last 11 gal. pot (matter of fact it was the last pot he had listed period). Hopefully it's in good shape when it arrives. Can't beat the price. I'm only going to use it for a HLT so I don't care too much about evaporation. I'll leave the lid on it.

Actually he does have some of the 11 gal. left, but I didn't see any other sizes posted.

For those of you who bought these pots. What kind of condition were they in? Just received an 18 gallon and its beat to crap. Two big dents near the bottom of the pot. Handle was broken completely off of the lid. Sent an e-mail to the seller, now waiting their reply.

Mine arrived in two days, was packed well, the box was intact, and the pot was pristine. Bummer that yours got mangled. Hopefully you get it cleared up.

How's the quality of these pots? How are the demensions compared the the keggles or other brew pots sold at lhbs stores?

Okay now someone needs to brew a batch asap and report back on how the kettle preforms on the burner and how sturdy it is to carry it around by the handles full of hot liquid, etc. THANKS!

I plan on drilling mine and putting a valve in before I use it. The thing is way too big.

However, I will say that I toted my three year old daughter around the house in the pot and it was fine. :D

I just received my 3 18 gallon pots.
One was beat up a little ( a couple of dents towards the bottom of the pot, and the lip of the lid a little bent) I will make this one my HLT.
The good news is I just measured there capacity with 130F tap water. Started overfilling @ just a hair under 20 gallons!!!!
I would feel very comfortable boiling 18 gallons in this pot!!!!

SCORE!!!!!

How's the quality of these pots? How are the demensions compared the the keggles or other brew pots sold at lhbs stores?

The 18 gallon kettle is built heavier steel than my 44qt. Bayou Classics kettle. The handles are spot welded on. I just not quite happy with condition of it. Demensions from the ebay add are:
Interior diameter: 17 1/2"
Interior Depth to top edge: 17 3/4"
Exterior Diameter excluding handles/including rolled edge: 18 3/8"
Clad base diameter: 16 1/8"
Overall Height: 18 1/8"

Update on my damaged kettle. Seller requested some pics and is filing a claim with Fed Ex. They been prompt in responding to e-mails and are trying to right the situation.

Hrm... Should I pull the trigger on a 11 gallon? Anyone try putting one on an electric stove top?

Don't bother with it on an electric stove top. It took me over 90 min. to achieve a boil on my electric stove with about 4 gal. in the pot. It took that one batch and I bought a Blichmann burner and have never looked back. :mug:

Just received my 11 gal. pot and it is great. Much heavier than I expected with a clad bottom. I already drilled my hole for the valve and it took a little muscle to get my bit through. This will make a sweet HLT.

Don't bother with it on an electric stove top. It took me over 90 min. to achieve a boil on my electric stove with about 4 gal. in the pot. It took that one batch and I bought a Blichmann burner and have never looked back. :mug:

Did you put it on one burner or two? If you can get it to straddle two burners, you might have better luck. I'm gonna try it out on my brother in law's 8 gallon pot that I bought him a while back. I only have keggles now, but I'm dying to start brewing over the winter inside at my condo. These pots seem very cost effective.

Did you put it on one burner or two? If you can get it to straddle two burners, you might have better luck. I'm gonna try it out on my brother in law's 8 gallon pot that I bought him a while back. I only have keggles now, but I'm dying to start brewing over the winter inside at my condo. These pots seem very cost effective.

I straddled two burners, put the lid on, everything. The problem with my electric coils anyway is that they only get so hot and then shut off momentarily and it's hard to get to a full boil, especially with more than 4 gal.

Good luck though. I understand the need to stay warm.:mug:

Anyway, I really like the quality of the new pot. I now have my original 5 gal. pot (only 6 months old) for sale. I will no longer need it. ($15 + shipping).

Hrm... Should I pull the trigger on a 11 gallon? Anyone try putting one on an electric stove top?

Needless to say all stoves are different, the kenmore glass top electric stove that was in the house when I bought it can get 8-9 gallons from run off temp. (140 ~ 150F) to a boil in 30-40 minutes. I did get one of these pots but I have a 40 qt. SS w/ clad bottom. Like you said you have to try because... well, all stoves are different.

Back