Cream ale turn out awesome thanks to temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Just tasted my cream ale I brewed from a brewers best kit. It turned out awesome. A few month back I bought a chest freezer and a johnson temp controller. Fermented at about 55-57 degrees with the nottingham yeast that came in the kit. The beer is super clear, super clean tasting and just a damn good beer, way too drinkable, which mean that I need to brew this one again fairly quickly. Im hoping for a kegging system for christmas and I cant think of a better beer to start it off with.

Controlling fermentation temperature is probably the best way to improve your beer. Hopefully, it is only big enough from one batch at a time. Just thinking about your liver.

No its much bigger than that, but the kids keep us busy on the weekends, so finding time to brew is the bottleneck in the process, not fermentation space.

I just picked up the cream ale kit and was going to brew it this weekend. Luckily my basement is hovering right around that temp.

You wont be disapointed, It was really good. I Actually started it fermenting at about 66 degress which was the basement temp, until I saw the first bubble then dropped it down to the 56 degrees. I cant remember what hops this has in it, was it Halertua?

Can't remember what 2 varieties it had. just glanced over the ingredients and instructions when I bought it.

If you get a chance take a look and let me know, I cant seem to find it online and the instructions I have just say biitering or aroma, and I didnt write it down.

Yep that seems right to me now that you mention it. Ill be having a few of these tonight when I get home. Id like to try this same recipe but as a lager sometime.

Is there an actual article published somewhere by beers scientists that prove that stable fermenting temps result in better tasting beers, or this just from beer books or HBT geeks based on anecdotal evidence?

I try to keep my fermenting worts in places with temps as steady as possible but it was a completely disaster in my last batch (up to 11 F variations), nevertheless I think it may have been my best batch so far... so, not meaning to open a can of worms here… just pure wonder!

It a little bit of all of that. But I dont think the flucuation in temp is as bad as the actual temperatures. Most yeast have a fermenting temp range and depending on the yeast some beer will have more esters at that higher range. So if when I was brewing mine my temp range when from 50-60, it would be much cleaner tasting that a swing from 70-80. Nottingham is an ale yeast, but can handle those lower temps pretty well.

how long did you primary (secondary)? just brewed the cream ale this past sunday. fermenting temp has been 60-68. was hoping i could rush it a little and have it c.mas eve. going in the keezer so just need 5-7 days to get it carbed up.

congrats!

I had it in the primary for about 3.5 weeks and 5 days in secondary with gelatin. I wanted a little longer in the primary due to the lower temps, but I didnt check the gravity until the end, so it could have been fermented out long before that. Im drinking one as I write this.

Back