Adding unfermentable sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoMNTwins

Reaction score
I'm going to transfer a porter and want a little more sweetness. Is there a way to do that on bottling day without overcarbonating? I plan to use corn sugar to carbonate, just something that will leave the least amount of sediment in the bottle. I know maltodextrin can add mouth feel and body, and lactose can add sweetness, but is there anything else as far as option I could use? Cheers!

If you want sweetness, adding lactose is your best bet. Just make sure it gets mixed it well when you bottle, and you'll be fine. There's no other options this late in the game that I know of.

There are malts you can use while brewing that will help, but that's not going to help you now.

Your real best bet is "Splenda" from the packets. it's about 99.5% maltodextrin it goes a long way, and doesn't add anything you can tell. The Lactose will taste like lactose sweetness.

My vote is for lactose. It is commonly used for making a "sweet" beer like sweet stout. I don't mind Splenda but I don't think I would find it too appealing in my beer. I would need more info or to try a beer with it before I would go down that road.

Back