Very cloudy APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarka

Reaction score
I've brewed an extract APA and it's been in the fermenter for two weeks now. The samples are tasting good, but it's very cloudy, it looks a bit like a river mud. I've placed the sample in the fridge and a quite remarkable amount of sediment settles out of it; I assume this is mostly yeast? Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do a proper cold-crash. I was planning on leaving it to clear for another week but I suspect that this won't be enough. Would adding gelatine help with this? If so how much and for how long (5G/19L batch)?

Thanks,
Steve

I've brewed an extract APA and it's been in the fermenter for two weeks now. The samples are tasting good, but it's very cloudy, it looks a bit like a river mud. I've placed the sample in the fridge and a quite remarkable amount of sediment settles out of it; I assume this is mostly yeast? Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do a proper cold-crash. I was planning on leaving it to clear for another week but I suspect that this won't be enough. Would adding gelatine help with this? If so how much and for how long (5G/19L batch)?

Thanks,
Steve

I wouldn't use the gelatine, however you can. An easy method of getting rid of the haze, is to let it age longer in the secondary.

Yeah, if it is done with the main ferment, rack to secondary and a lot of the crud will sink to the bottom. That is yeast, hops, etc. that is causing the haze. When you rack to secondary, it will clear quite a bit.

I would definitely try for a longer secondary so the beer will clear more and to keep the bottles (if you bottle) from having too much sediment in them.

Thanks everyone.

The beer has already been in primary for two weeks; unfortunately I'm not in a position to do a secondary (I was under the impression it was largely optional for ales anyway). I was going to leave it for another week in a cool area in the hope that it will settle out, I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
Steve

Do you have it in a bucket or a carboy? Do you have one of each, or two of either?

A few variations, not knowing what you have:

The beer is in a bucket, and you have a carboy: Just transfer to the carboy and let it settle out.

If you only have the one bucket, go out and buy a carboy, they aren't that expensive and will make your brewing life easier.

The beer is in a bucket and you have another bucket: Transfer to the other bucket.

The beer is in a carboy and you also have a bucket, transfer to the bucket, clean and sanitize the carboy, and transfer back.

You have 2 carboys, easy, just transfer.

Thanks,
Steve
why can't you cold crash??? large bucket water and ice..3 to 5 days and you are all good..

If not give it some more time it will not hurt one bit. This is yeast that are still in solution..what was the recipe? What type of yeast? You could use a secondary to clear it up but I really have worried less about clarity in IPA and APA styles...did you dry hop? this always makes it a bit cloudy as well

Jay

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I don't have any sort of secondary vessel; they're not used as much in Australia and most starter kits don't come with one.

The yeast is safale-05, and it was dry-hopped. I'll see how it settles out over this week (the temperature is down to about 15C now); if it doesn't I'll see if I can get a secondary fermenter this weekend and do a transfer then. This would put me at three weeks in primary and a couple of weeks in secondary, which should hopefully clear it up.

Cheers,
Steve

Back