Took the Plunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Well, at the prodding of my dear wife, I ordered some hop rhizomes. I was debating between hybrids and noble hops. Again, my wife said that if they grow like everything else in our out-of-control yard, we should go for the good stuff. So we ordered Crystal (the one hybrid) Hallertauer, and Saaz. I understand the Saaz are supposed to be particularly hard to grow, but being the pilsner fan I am, I had to give it a try. I kinda wish I had thrown in some Sterling as a safety net, but we'll see how it goes. Maybe it's not too late to get some ordered. If nothing else, I'm hoping the Crystal will do well.

Chris

Saaz doesn't grow very well even in its native Czechoslovakia. It's prone to many viruses, mildew and wilt. OSU grows it in their greenhouses because it can't survive outside. Wish you luck.

Sorry to hear that Boo Boo. I know Saaz is kind of hard to find, especially this year.

David,
I don't have any unreasonable expectations. Figured I'd at least give it a shot. I mean, it's Saaz!

Chris

I just placed an order for Cascade, Chinook, and Willamette. Perhaps next year will be the year of the great rhizome exchange once every gets established plants.

Back