Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot

Reaction score
I have white spots on the top of the beer inside the secondary. Do this look infected? Should I still bottle it?

image-1695122495.jpg

unionrdr said:
Looks like yeast rafts to me. nothing to worry about...:mug:

Does that mean I transferred it to the secondary to soon and it was still fermenting when I transferred it?

What happens is the dissolved co2 &/or swirling action of fermentation stirs up chunks of the yeast cake off the bottom & they float to the top. They'll settle out eventually.
But always make sure the beer's at FG before racking. You don't want to rack it too soon & cause it to stall.

There is always yeast in suspension carried over to secondary and to your bottling bucket. That why even when your bottling, the left over yeasties consume the simple (corn) sugar solution that's added. The picture is difficult to see, maybe from a different angle we can better see what is formed on top.

From another angle and no flash. The spots aren't like big clumps or gobs. The are flat to the surface. So that makes sense that it is left over yeast.

image-1102674840.jpg

Yeast rafts will look like they have very fine bubbles around the edges. Give it a few days. If it grows, its bad!

I had the same exact thing in my first brew that was an IPA. These showed up shortly after I transferred to secondary. It has been about a week and they are almost completely gone. Definitely yeast rafts from all that I have seen and read. You should have some great beer.

I've got a California Common in secondary now that I used the Cal Lager yeast on and after 6 weeks it's still got the little white bubbly yeast rafts. I think your beer will be just fine :)

Latest posts

Back