Safale S-05 high attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I brewed what I intended to be a pale ale. As I refine my techniques, my brewhouse efficiency keeps increasing, so I ended up with an OG of 1.062. A bit higher than expected, but okay. However, I was concerned about using a single packet of S-05. I rehydrated just to be sure. Last night I bottled and my FG was 1.008! That is over 87% attenuation. I was expecting something around 1.017. So now, instead of an ABV of 5.5%, I am at over 7%. That should keep everyone happy at Christmas dinner.

What did I do to get such a high attenuation or is this normal? I am going to bottle an IPA tonight that I also fermented with S-05 (2 packets) and expect to be around 7.5%. If I get the same attenuation, I'll be at 9%. I have it calculated at about 85 IBU, so no worries, but I like to have better control over the end product.

Sounds par for the course. I kept upping my mash temp and S-05 continued to chomp through and finish at 10 pts, regardless of OG. I use to worry about it, but for my APA/IPA's it's quite perfect actually, S-05 knows what she's doing and takes care of business.

I've had several batches finish at 1.005 using S-05.
That was mostly due to 150* mash temp & adding a little brown sugar.

I've pretty much thrown then attenuation rate listed on the packages/websites out the window. I control fermentables with mash temps/ingredients.

Once I converted to all-grain all my beers went under 1.010, hitting 1.008 when I mashed high 140's low 150s. If I want a little more body in my beer I will bump up to 154+

S05 is a beast. It always finishes around 1.010 for me regardless of OG. Try mashing around 156F ag or using Nottingham dry yeast for a similar clean finish but bit less dry.

If you want it to finish sweeter, increase your mash temp. But around 1.01 doesn't sound bad to me for a pale ale, if a little on the dry side.

I mashed at 151, so based on the experiences here and my mash temp, seems I am right on. I did a Porter a few batches back and mashed at 156 to see what would happen. It left a lot more body. I just cracked one of those open after almost a year and I could swear it had been aged in an old sherry barrel. I guess that is a topic for another thread.

I just bottled an IPA that I fermented with S-05. I gotta refigure all of my numbers with this stuff. I now have a 9.3%ABV IPA! It chewed a 1.080 wort down to 1.009, and that was just pouring it over the surface.

Does this stuff ever stop? How much alcohol will it tolerate?

Ive got a barleywine in secondary at the moment, S-05 took it from 1.100 to 1.016! I figured on finishing more in the 1.025 range.

I think the tolerance is around 11.5-12%.

Attenuation isn't determined wholly by the yeast. Your grain bill, mash temperature, OG, pitching rate and fermentation conditions are also major players in the equation, as is your system.

That's why it is so important to keep good records of your brew sessions. If you missed the mark you were aiming for, you have a baseline that, along with a good working knowledge of the brewing process, helps you to make adjustments and dial it in.

Bob

bierandbikes said:
I mashed at 151, so based on the experiences here and my mash temp, seems I am right on. I did a Porter a few batches back and mashed at 156 to see what would happen. It left a lot more body. I just cracked one of those open after almost a year and I could swear it had been aged in an old sherry barrel. I guess that is a topic for another thread.

Is your thermometer calibrated? I thought one I had been using for years was good, but it got out of whack somewhere along the way.

Bob, good point. I try to keep very good records. I even recalibrate my thermometer every few months. The one thing that should be easy but I seem to miss is my wort volume. I do the best I can with my notched spoon to get the pre-boil volume and calculate based on that volume and pre-boil gravity what my final wort volume should be. I tend to boil off too much. I know there is some contraction once it cools but I think a sight glass or some more accurate way of measuring wort volume in the BK is the next upgrade. I think that has contributed as much to my higher than expected OG as my increased efficiency.

I'll let you know how the two S-05 fermented brews turn out. Hopefully not too dry, but a strong ale and imperial IPA should keep everyone happy for Christmas.

I just made a pale ale with one package of s-05 that started at 1.055 and ended at 1.006 after 3 weeks , I was pleased with the out come , one of the better beers I have made

Bob, good point. I try to keep very good records. I even recalibrate my thermometer every few months. The one thing that should be easy but I seem to miss is my wort volume. I do the best I can with my notched spoon to get the pre-boil volume and calculate based on that volume and pre-boil gravity what my final wort volume should be. I tend to boil off too much. I know there is some contraction once it cools but I think a sight glass or some more accurate way of measuring wort volume in the BK is the next upgrade. I think that has contributed as much to my higher than expected OG as my increased efficiency.

I'll let you know how the two S-05 fermented brews turn out. Hopefully not too dry, but a strong ale and imperial IPA should keep everyone happy for Christmas.

If you use brewing software, you can change your boil off rate as well as the amount you allow for trub in the BK. The other alternative is to add water after cooling to bring OG to where you want it. The latter would probably be best if your boil off is inconsistent.

Bob

I just cracked open a bottle of each brew fermented with US-05. The first (simple strong ale) is just not as expected, not complex (somewhat planned) but a bit thin. I suppose this is from taking the FG down to 1.06. I blame it on the US-05 as I have never had this problem before but have tasted it in other homebrews. It could also be a case of underpitching as I only used one packet (hydrated) with an OG of 1.062. The IIPA has great flavor. The hops are clear and forward, but no head. The last IPA I made, using WLP041 had almost too much head. Now I am at the other extreme. Yeast again? I finshed the last batch, virtually identical except for the yeast, at 1.018 and it was perfect. I really like the tangerine flavors in this brew, but I am very unhappy with the carbonation/head. It has been bottled for only 12 days, so maybe a little more time. I rushed these a bit to have them ready for christmas. Maybe that is thte problem, not the yeast. Not enough time for the little guys to clean up all the bad stuff.

I have used US-05 in beers with OG of 1.07+ without a problem. Also, Yeast would be the last player I would blame for issues concerning head. As I stated before, yeast is only part of the equation. I'm sure you had factors other than the liquid/dry versions of Calif. Ale yeast that made much more significant differences if you followed the same recipe.

Bob

I definetly pitch US-05 regularly into beers with 1.065 OG, and while it's probably underpitching I don't notice any ill effects, especially not head retention and carbing. My guess is wait it out and let the beer do its thing. You yourself have said you kind of rushed this one for xmas, I bet if you give it a few weeks in the bottle you'll notice a significant change. I still 'test' beer at 12 days in the bottle on occasion, but it's never ready then, and I never expect it to be but my patience wears thin sometimes. Yours Might be good at New Years as an alternative, and probably great sometime around 4 weeks in the bottle.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need to follow my own advice...be patient and don't rush the results. I think with the ABV on these two, more time in the bottle is better. Maybe I'll send a couple of six packs home with the family and tell them to cellar it for a month. I'll keep tasting it every 3-5 days and keep good notes. Part of my head retention problem could be that the grain sat for awhile before I was able to use it. The rye should have produced a good head. I would definitely add some carapils and maybe mash at a higher temp next time I use the US-05 to keep a bit more body.

Always learning...that is the beauty of homebrewing.

Update: I let the bottles of IIPA condition for another 10+ days and what a difference! There was a "pop" when I flipped the top that made me smile. It only needed more time. The white head was small but dense and persistent. The citrusy hop aroma was clear. The hops are definitely front and center. If you like a serious IPA, this is it. It clocks in at 85 IBU and with the US-05 bringing it down to 1.008, there is nothing to hide that beautiful hop flavor. And, at 9.3%ABV, that 0.5L flip top is enough to make anyone feel good about their creation.

I named my usual IPA "bunny hop." I call my brewery, the Brew Pedaler Aleworks so most beers have a bike theme that fits with the style. We also have a farm with rabbits, among other critters, so it fits the farm theme as well. As this was just a bigger, badder version, I decided to call it "Thumper." Like a bunny on steroids.

Thanks for the words of advice. Patience was the key ingredient that I was missing.

Cheers.

Back