Schwarzbier recipe suggestions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
I am going to brews Schwarzbier this week and my question is how dark malts are used. I would like to brew one on the darker side of the style and I would like to see some of your recipe suggestions. I know German dark malts are preferred but I have seen many different uses of pale chocolate, chocolate, black patent, and roasted malt. I would just like to see what has worked for you.

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of BarleyWater's recipe and it turned out awesome. The only changes were I realized on brewday I was out of crystal so I just threw in a few more ounces of base malt. I also used Hallertau for the hop additions.

I did the Northern Brewer recipe earlier this year (grain bill below) and really liked it. Sorry I didn't provide alternate, non German malts, but using the grains listed below I am sure you could cross reference similar grains and make an awesome recipe.

4.5 lbs. German Vienna
4.5 lbs. German Munich Malt
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Caramunich III
0.5 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III
1.0 oz. Perle Hops @60 min

I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of BarleyWater's recipe and it turned out awesome. The only changes were I realized on brewday I was out of crystal so I just threw in a few more ounces of base malt. I also used Hallertau for the hop additions.

That recipe looks pretty good. I may have to try that. I'll probably leave out the roasted barley. It doesn't seem appropriate in a German Lager.

I liked Jamil's Schwartzbier recipe.

The below will make 6 gallons at 75%.

6.0 lbs Munich Malt
3.5 lbs Pilsner Malt (2-Row)
0.5 lbs C40 Malt
0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs Carafa I (debittered)
0.25 lbs Roasted Barley

1.75 oz H. Mittelfrueh 60 min
0.50 oz H. Mittelfrueh 20 min
0.50 oz H. Mittelfrueh 1 min

I have mine in primary right now.

10 lbs pils (i have used pale with good results too)
1 lb c80
.5 lb chocolate
4 oz roasted barley

.4 oz magnum for 60
.5 oz cascade for 50
.5 oz spalt for 20
.5 oz splat at flameout.

This is my attempt at Sprecher Black Bavarian, so I guess an American twist on a schwartzbier.

I ferment w34/70 at 50 degrees. I'll lager for 2 months probably.

My OG was 1.056.

Ya know, it seems like I'm missing something in that recipe...I'll have to check when I get home. I'm going off memory here, and I brewed an oatmeal stout the same day and might have messed up on the above recipe. Lol. I'll check and post later.

That recipe looks pretty good. I may have to try that. I'll probably leave out the roasted barley. It doesn't seem appropriate in a German Lager.

Agreed, I think his recipe came out a little more roasty than the German ones I have tried, more of an American style I think. I prefer it but you're right, you may want to leave it out if going for a more classic German Schwarzbier.

here she is

Schwarz beer

Saflager 34/70 x2
Og 1.052
Fg 1.014
Ibu 23.9
Boil 90min
Srm 28.7
Primary 15 @ 50
Secondary 25 @ 40

Pilsner 7 lbs
Munich malt 10L 2lb