Checking Gravity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentt03

Reaction score
How much does yeast throw off a reading??

I try to check my brews from the conical a few times until i hit the FG I am targeting, but when taking a sample from the conical there is so much yeast in suspension that the sample I take is nasty/messy and not much beer; is there a better method?

I have used a coffee filter and funnel fairly effectively to remove enough yeast for hydro samples to not be a problem. It can be a little slow, but works out OK. The sample won't be crystal clear because much yeast will still pass through, but it will still remove alot of sediment.

Yeast in suspension will not affect the reading.

If the yeast sticks to the hydrometer, it will make it heavier resulting in a lower reading, in the same way, carbonation raises the reading.

Just spin the hydrometer to make sure you get a good reading.

I pretty much don't check final gravity until I'm bottling. After 3 weeks in the fermenter I assume it's done weather it hit expected FG or not.

Yeast in suspension will not affect the reading.

If the yeast sticks to the hydrometer, it will make it heavier resulting in a lower reading, in the same way, carbonation raises the reading.

Just spin the hydrometer to make sure you get a good reading.

When I heard the OP say he's taking yeast from a conical, I think of sludge/slurry. Definitely a sludge could not be measured. I agree that a cloudy sample will not throw off a hydro reading.

Back