Regulator banging noise... Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True_Sycko

Reaction score
Hello, I just finished building my keezer and hooked up all the equipment I got from Keg Connection. I bought a 3-gauge taprite regulator from them. So I followed the Instructions turning the red knobs counter clockwise to off. Hooked up everything then turned the knob to 10 psi for the first gauge and hooked it up to my keg full of PBW. No problem hear the hiss and all is good. So I decide to try out the other gauge when I run the Star-San through all the lines. This time though, when I release the valve it makes a loud banging type noise. I notice the main gauge for tank pressure it going up and down rapidly. I turn it off. Then open it again and no problem. Whats going on? Is the second regulator broke? I am new to kegging to any help would be great!!! :)

Thanks,
Mike

Hi

Where did your CO2 tank come from? Does it have a siphon tube by any chance? If so, you can / will get liquid CO2 into the regulator - not a good thing.

Bob

Got the tank from my LHBS. They had a bunch of the same tanks back there. IDK if there is a siphon tube in it. You would think that both gauges would be acting up. And no I never tipped the co2 tank either....

Got the tank from my LHBS. They had a bunch of the same tanks back there. IDK if there is a siphon tube in it. You would think that both gauges would be acting up. And no I never tipped the co2 tank either....

Hi

If you got it from a home brew outfit it's unlikely it's got a siphon tube in it. With a tube you will get liquid if you pull a lot of "stuff" and gas if you pull a little. You might be moving far more volume through the second regulator.

The other possibility is water / ice / guck in the line to the second regulator. Past that the obvious one is "it's broke".

I'd email Keg Connection. You should get an email back from Nanette within a day or so with their advice.

Bob

Hi

If you got it from a home brew outfit it's unlikely it's got a siphon tube in it. With a tube you will get liquid if you pull a lot of "stuff" and gas if you pull a little. You might be moving far more volume through the second regulator.

The other possibility is water / ice / guck in the line to the second regulator. Past that the obvious one is "it's broke".

I'd email Keg Connection. You should get an email back from Nanette within a day or so with their advice.

Bob

Thnaks Bob for the help. I just emailed them. Hopefully its a quick/easy fix!

Back