All Grain BIAB need help now, element turns off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys i was about to reach hot break and then suddenly my element started to turn off regularly after about 1 minute and then once off, bout 10 sec later i hear a small "click" in the element and then it turns on again....

Anyone have any idea about whats going on ?

I have 2 elements so i used the other one to reach boil, but still the element that doesnt stay on is my main element.....

Electric.... first thing I'd do is check your connections. It sounds like it might be a safety thing disengaging the element to prevent shock/overheat. Hopefully someone more familiar with electric brewing can chime in and be of more help. Did you try posting in the electric brewing forum?

I've used it before without issues, and the "click" i hear is coming from the element, its like the auto-off feature is kicking in (when you use a boil ketle the water reaches boil then switches off) could it be something like that ?

Haven't heard of this. Perhaps there is a short somewhere but I didn't think there was much to these elements in the way of self-shutdown.

I've used it before without issues, and the "click" i hear is coming from the element, its like the auto-off feature is kicking in (when you use a boil ketle the water reaches boil then switches off) could it be something like that ?

Sounds like that is what it is. Can you use the other one? Otherwise you could run out and buy a cheap propane setup, or do the best you can on your stove. If your pot is big enough it might be able to cover 2 burners and you could cover it until it boils than partial cover if needed to keep it boiling.

Hehe it isnt that simple :)

I can use the other one and that is enough to keep up boil but that meens i have the wire midway in air across the room, so its hard to get around (thats why i used the other "main" one, it has a diffrent plug and shorter wire) but the pot i use is plastic fermenter turned into a boil pot with these 2 elements, so no propane or stove :)

I live in iceland, we dont have that stuff here. Over here its do it yourself or gtfo :(

Ill post pics tonight im about to bucket and pitch, then eat and open beer ;)

30ruuer.jpg

qzrdr9.jpg

24qiipx.jpg

2cp22wi.jpg

14vqqt3.jpg

These are old images i took while brewing my first all grain wheat beer, wich im drinking right now ;) love it!

Anyways, the element on the right side is the one acting weird now

Some people using the kind of setup i use have told me that these elements have a thin thread that expands when enough heat is formed and by expanding it shuts off the element after about 30sec-1min, so what i gotta do is open up the element (remove that black box on the outside of the pot) and remove that thread and possibly the pin that shuts it down aswell, by doing that i eliminate this problem :)

Back