Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
CO2 Inside or outside.. I was thinking outside. Allow me to pressurize and store without opening the fridge all the time....

Is a controller necessary or recommended for the fridge kegerator..?

Thanks....

Works either way. Keeping it outside will let you use that last 1/2 pound of CO2 though. Mine are inside at the moment.

I assume the use is better because of the cold....?

Oh by the way... My first batch of your Apfelwein is going strong for about a week now.

I am at a bit of a crossroads with my brewing. My 2 biggest roads to travel.

Do I go kegging? Or do I control my fermenation temp to a "T". Which do you guys think will give me my biggest improvement...?

Thanks again.

dhaas66 said:
Do I go kegging? Or do I control my fermenation temp to a "T". Which do you guys think will give me my biggest improvement...?

Depends on what you're looking for and what means more to you, but if you're looking for flavor improvement, fermentation temp control is a MUST.

Kegging is a convenience and time-management thing, but it sure is fun. :D ;)

CO2 inside here. beverage-air bm-23 kegerator has a nice shelf inside to hold a 5lb tank. the shelf can actually hold 3 5lb tanks, and still has room for 4 corney's. i like the inside gas cause it keeps it nice and neat on the outside.

I agree with firebrewer 100%. I just lost the use of my brewing facilities due to no a/c. This sounds like a bad thing, but it has prompted me to build a controlled fermentation cabinet on top of my chest freezer.

Just my two cents- If your faced with one or the other and you can ferment at about the right temp (68-72*F in most houses with a/c) with your equipment then I would deffinitely go with kegging first, if you can't like me right now then I would go with controlling first. If you can do both then I would suggest it for the same reasons firebrewer said about flavor control. Kegging is so easy compared to bottling that I believe everyone should make the move. I had to go to kegs (I went from 5-15.5 gallon batches), something about having to clean 165 bottles for a 15.5 gallon batch just didn't seem logical-or fun :eek: . Also, I use a spunding valve which alows me to naturally carbonate in my keg. I love this thing and got all my info to build it off of here and BYO magazine. Just something else to know about kegging.

Hope this helps.:mug:

Back