Corny wont hold pressure - what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
I have a corny that has some how developed a leak and I think it is in the main seal, it might be out of shape and not able to get a tight seal.

My question is what have others done with out of commission cornies?

I have several of those kegs and just bought the O-Ring kit for them and that took care of any leaks. The kits are like a few bucks from any shop

I have replaced all the o-rings, the only thing i havent done is the poppets (which are on my list to change and check). But my real question is, is there a DIY project for out of commission cornies? Not necessarily, how do you fix it, but what can i turn this thing into...lol

So you don't know where it is leaking?

Have you sprayed all the possible leaky spots with soapy water to see where you get bubbles?

Also, basic question but did you lube up all the gaskets with keg lube when you replaced them?

My .02, new seals tend to not form to older Corny kegs very well. I have found that when mine has leaked like that a quick fix was to crank the co2 up to about 30 psi for a short period of time. The added pressure pushes the lid to the top and causes the seals to "seal" better.

Might try that.

Using new O-rings and some keg lube worked for me in the past. In your case it maybe old weak springs on the poppets in which case would need to be replaced.

Make sure to bring your old ones into the LHBS to get new ones as different manufactures have different sizes.

Good luck!

Umbrella stand, burner shields, planter, storage, funny metal hat, steel drum for a calypso band.

That's what you requested. But if it is the main seal, they do sell extra fat o rings for that issue as well as generous slathering of keg lube and also some spacers under the keg feet or reforming the metal bar that holds the lid on, etc.

almost forgot - 5 gallon fermenter is a good use !

My .02, new seals tend to not form to older Corny kegs very well. I have found that when mine has leaked like that a quick fix was to crank the co2 up to about 30 psi for a short period of time. The added pressure pushes the lid to the top and causes the seals to "seal" better.

Might try that.

I'll try that...I really didnt think about the new seals needing to be "broken" in but it makes sense...

and I always use lube! lol

Umbrella stand, burner shields, planter, storage, funny metal hat, steel drum for a calypso band.

That's what you requested. But if it is the main seal, they do sell extra fat o rings for that issue as well as generous slathering of keg lube and also some spacers under the keg feet or reforming the metal bar that holds the lid on, etc.

almost forgot - 5 gallon fermenter is a good use !

Perfect! I have always wanted an umbrella stand...lol

I forgot, but when you turn your pressure up you can use a large screw driver to pull the lid up to help the seal seat. This method has always worked for me. Good luck!

I have one keg that has trouble sealing at the main seal.

What I do is run the lubed up o-ring under hot tap water for a minute or two then close the keg and blast it with 30-40 psi. This seals it up nicely and won't leak after that.

Where do you find a new lid for $15? I found it on More Beer for about $35. I have a corny that I've tried several lids, but it still leaks at the main seal. I'm thinking about tossing it unfortunately.

yes, and I couldnt find the leak. But I know that it was leaking somewhere bc the pressure keeps going away

Fill your tub with water, put the corny under pressure, and then submerge it in the tub. You should be able to actually see bubbles coming out wherever it's leaking.

The lid may be the problem, especially if the lip of the lid (where the O-ring sits) is warped or the pressure relief valve is broken. More commonly, though, it's the opening of the keg itself that's the problem. If that's dinged up, you end up with a gap between lid and keg opening that's too large for the seal to hold. Those can be a pain in the ass to fix - it usually takes lots of pressure, lots of lube and lots of very gentle wiggling to try and get the lid to fit.

Again, I recommend actually figuring out where the leak is before you think about replacing anything. Submerge the whole pressurized keg in water and look for the stream of bubbles.

The lid may be the problem, especially if the lip of the lid (where the O-ring sits) is warped or the pressure relief valve is broken. More commonly, though, it's the opening of the keg itself that's the problem. If that's dinged up, you end up with a gap between lid and keg opening that's too large for the seal to hold. Those can be a pain in the ass to fix - it usually takes lots of pressure, lots of lube and lots of very gentle wiggling to try and get the lid to fit.

This is the trouble that I am experiencing. high pressure no leaks, serving pressure lid seal leak BAD. There is a noticably larger gap between the keg opening diameter and the lid diameter on this keg. In other words, I see a lot more o-ring on this keg. It's as if the keg opening is stretched to a larger diameter.:confused:

Has anyone got a good technique to reform the keg opening?

Thanks in advance.

This is the trouble that I am experiencing. high pressure no leaks, serving pressure lid seal leak BAD. There is a noticably larger gap between the keg opening diameter and the lid diameter on this keg. In other words, I see a lot more o-ring on this keg. It's as if the keg opening is stretched to a larger diameter.:confused:

Has anyone got a good technique to reform the keg opening?

Thanks in advance.
You might get away with using a thick steel plate over the opening and using a hydraulic press to gently press down, checking your progress constantly. The top of the keg will likely move before the bottom. If the top is out-of-flat, this might re-flatten it. I would not beat on it with a hammer. I've got a press in my garage, but we're a long distance apart.:(

Could this have been the result of an overpressure condition?

New O rings and lots of keg lube! Works like a charm!
Sorry, this leak is beyond keg lube. I currently have a williams brewing chubby o-ring on there, but as soon as the keg is a serving pressure or if lower to address pour issues, etc. then leak city!

Back