What a crappy day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
It started out awesome. I spent the weekend at my girlfriend's house, and left there this am to go to the office (a sizable commute, but in about 6 months we will be living together so we figure its worth it). I had my yearly review, found out I was getting a nice bonus, plus a small raise. All in all, it was an awesome start to the day.

Then I got home and had a message from the new landlord to call him. See, my old landlord had been in the process of selling the 2 unit building where I live. So, he calls me back and lays it out. Turns out the old landlord had told him that my housemates and I were ready to move out (we're not). The real estate agent she used told him the same thing.

The entire time they are telling the new landlords this, they're telling us that the lease will be valid through the end of the term (we've already paid for our last month's rent), and that we're fine, we have until August. Well, the new landlord points out a single line on the lease that all of us, including our real estate agent who filled out the lease, forgot to mention. There's a spot where the new landlord in the event of a sale has the ability to terminate the lease at a period of renewal after (BLANK) days notice are given. It seems to counter everything else on the lease, and the number was never filled in.

The new landlord came over and we talked for a bit. The guy looked like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Basically the landlady played he and his family, and us like fiddles. He's looking into getting a lawyer because he was told by her that he could begin rennovating the place immediately, because we "were just waiting for a reason to leave." We may not have any legal recourse because of a single blank spot on our lease despite being told numerous times that our lease was safe and we had a place to stay until august. So, tomorrow I'm contacting the bar association and my friends who are in law to find out if this is worth it. I mean, should we win, we piss off the new landlord who is out of a place to live. I don't know what to do.

I have a fallback place to live, but it'll mean 3-4 hours of commuting a day for the next 8 months. Ugh.

no law degree here or anything, but i did go to business graduate school. i think (no guarantee; varies by state) they made a mistake by leaving that day blank on the contract. check with legal counsel. i believe you can beat it

I'd love to, cept I have no homebrews on hand (they're all at the girlfriend's place, where I do my brewing).

Just a bad day.

Well, as more of the situation unfolds it appears that the new landlords were just as clueless as we were about the whole deal. It looks like the original landlord and the realtor screwed everyone over. The new buyers were in a crappy spot because they have a FHA loan which requires they live here within 60 days of borrowing the cash.

We could have been dicks and dug our heels into the ground, but then they and their kids would have been homeless. So, I spoke with an attorney friend of mine and he suggested we reach a settlement with the new homeowners.

So, for the next 2 months I live here rent free, and then when I leave they're giving me a thousand dollars cash (so I've got that plus the money I didn't spend on rent, which comes out to about $2k).

Then they can move in when we leave, and keep their FHA loan.

It sucks, because they are losing about 6k, we're losing our place to live... but at least we reached a quorum.

On the upside, I'm moving in with SWMBO, which means more brewing. PLUS, the LHBS just posted job offerings for the weekend, so I might see about getting some part time work there. I bet I'd learn a lot.

Its a crap situation but I'm gonna have to make the best of it.

Back