my first starter and a quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixitoscar

Reaction score
So i have my first brew in bottles and wanted to try something a little more complex for my second. I am going to do a belgian dubbel extract kit.
My last brew was an american pale ale and I used dry safale yeast. I rehydrated it per the advice i found on this board. Fermentation took off like a rocket. Now, with the dubbel i am going to use whitelabs belgian yeast. I am defiantly going to make a starter for it. The procedure seems pretty easy. My question is, should i also buy a yeast supplement like Servomyces. Or is this overkill for a good starter.

I havent used a nutrient yet, I figure theres plenty of nutrient in the five gallons of wort =)

I havent had a problem not using one yet so I think it works both ways.

I usually use the Wyeast nutrient in mine. Much cheaper than the Servo and seems to work fine for me. I'm sure many people don't use it, but for as cheap as it is, I figure why not.

IMO you don't really ever need nutrients, although maybe an exception to the rule with bigger beers.

I've made a slew of Trappist/strong ales in the last two months and have done well without any additional nutrients.

I'd say keep it simple; nothing extra needed.

I agree with both of the last posts. Probably don't need it, although I bought a single vial of Wyeast nutrient over a year ago and it's only halfway gone. At $5 it is cheap and it certainly doesn't hurt. I can't remember where I heard it but wort (or DME and water) does contain all of the nutrients essential to good yeast growth except for Zinc and maybe one more.

You're probably read up elsewhere on starters, but in case not check out http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

It's interesting that you ask this question because this was addressed in the recent issue of BYO. However, before I get to that here is what I have been doing. I always add Servo + a small amount of additional nutrient to every starter.

Here is what BYO says:

"...yeast nutrients are useful for any brews where the yeast may experience pressure or stress---such as high gravity brews, or if your yeast has been stored for too long, as this can deplete its nutrients. It is also a good idea to add nutrients to yeast starters as they are often started with malt extract."

An earlier part of this mentions that some extracts may lack some of the necessary nutrients yeast need to grow and therefore they recommend adding nutrient to starters. Servomyces is rich in zinc and is a very important enzyme co-factor and also influences yeast flocculation where increased zinc levels increases flocculation after fermentation.

lots of good info. Thanks guys. I plan on going without nutrients this time around , but plan on giving it a shot on a future high OG brew.

Back