Tubing to use for wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadcactus

Reaction score
I'm using 3/8" copper pipe and just want to slide some tubing over both ends and tie then down for a simple build. I was going to use clear vinyl, but I discovered the max temp is supposedly 175F. Don't think that would work on the outflow track.

Any suggestions for tubing?

I used the clear vinyl, the hot flow through the outlet end of the coil caused it to soften, collapse, and permanently kink. Don't repeat my mistake. I'd say any of the high temp lines you can find at the hardware store would be A-OK if they're the right diameter. Silicone would be good, but it may be too floppy to keep from kinking just from it's own weight.

I never had any problems caused by using the clear vinyl, except of my own doing. Such as accidentally dropping the tubing on an open flame, which I did THREE TIMES before I finally figured out that I should change my process a bit to avoid that particular bungle.

I'm using the same cheap plastic vinyl from Home Depot that I bought 12 years ago. It hasn't been in continual use for that many years though. The hot side does get bent and shaped funny when it cools down but once hot water flows through it again, it works just fine.

To avoid having the end flop into my flame, I place the output/hot side into a bucket. This also allows me to know how much water I am using to cool my wort...

I just picked up a washing machine hose at the hardware store. It's threaded so it fits a garden hose for the input. I cut it off the other coupling for the outflow. Works great.

I just picked up a washing machine hose at the hardware store. It's threaded so it fits a garden hose for the input. I cut it off the other coupling for the outflow. Works great.

I don't know if those are food safe, I wouldn't recommend using it before doing some serious research.

I use thick silicone tubing (I think I got it from morebeer.com or rebelbrewer.com if memory serves) but it is a little floppy. While it hasn't kinked for me, it could in other scenarios I'm sure. Otherwise it works great, though I use a plate chiller so once it's going it really doesn't move much either. I've used the clear vinyl in the past for various things but it really just does not like it too hot, as it has definitely become too brittle, etc. now.

why does it have to be food safe for a wort chiller? they never come in contact with the actual wort right?

If its just an immersion chiller, food safe shouldn't matter for the water, but if it's a counterflow chiller (plate, etc) then you'd need it for atleast the wort in and out to be food grade.

On a tangent: is there any trick to getting the 3/8th tubing on 3/8th pipe? Or am I supposed to be using a larger size?

On a tangent: is there any trick to getting the 3/8th tubing on 3/8th pipe? Or am I supposed to be using a larger size?
Dip the tubing in hot water and the pipe in ice water. If the fails you could put a small cut in the tubing to get is started.

Back