Hard Plumbing Questions For My Single Tier...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MussBrew

Reaction score
I have an adjustable industrial shelf that sits on top of a dolly with the measurements of 24"x24"x60" for my single tier stand. On each side I have two burners and in the middle a cooler mash tun. I would like to hard plumb a gas line to both burners and an optional 3rd in for the middle for down the road when/if i get a third burner. My plan is to use 1/2" piping to run along the length of the stand with 3 "T" junctions for each spot with a cap on the end of the main line. Connected to each "T" junction will be 1/2" gas ball valves followed by an 1/2" to 5/8" adapter where an adjustable gas flex line will connect to each burner. The problems I'm facing are as follows....

1) I have one burner which is a metal fusion burner with a 1/4" inlet and a blichmann burner with a 5/8" inlet (I believe....) . What fittings should I use to connect each burner to the gas flex line?
2) The blichmann burner comes with a 10 psi regulator with a 5/8" attachment and my metal fusion burner has i believe a 30 psi regulator with a 1/4" attachment. Which regulator or what other options could i use that would allow both burners to work at the best efficiencies when they both need different psi's ? My plan was to connect one of the two regulators from the main gas line to the propane tank...

Down below i have pics of my set up. Any thoughts how to make this all work? :drunk:

-2.jpg

-1.jpg

-3.jpg

Mussman,

Great setup you have. Seems your real close to a full blown Brutus. I can only suggest that: There might be a way to put a Tee fitting at the propane tank creating two lines, one for each regulator. Another idea is to make your gas beam and possibly put a regulator on the Boil kettle burner downstream of the HLT and Mash kettle. On my system the boil is run manually/ separate from the mash and HLT. Kladue ? is the man on gas lines/ fittings etc.... send him a PM. I typed his name from memory so the spelling could be jumbled. Another idea is to put the burner you dont like on craigslist the buy 2 new burners making it al consistent.
Snake 10

gas2.jpg

I think going with a second blichmann is a good choice. That way the regulator going to the beam will be consistent. Thx for the advice :)

PS I love your single tier! did you weld your self? that is the second line going to each burner... an ingnition?

Like in the picture in the 2nd posting, use galvanized iron pipe for the main line and then the yellow flexible range supply hoses between the gascock (plumbing term for shutoff valve) and the burner. Be careful not to kink the hose, and on the galvanized iron use plenty of thread sealant on all the joints, then pressurize the system with air and use soapy water on all the joints to check for leaks.

Figure out where plumbers get their supplies in your area. Around here there's a store called Fergusson, I think they're nationwide. Anyways thats where you'll find all the adapters and fittings you would need. I think to get the 2 burners with different PSI's to work at the same time you'll need a separate regulator for each.

Muss,
The second line to the burner is my pilot light. I don't have a fifty pound head so mine is as manual as it gets. I just crack the ball valve, Put a flame by the burner and light it. I then adjust the flame to about 1/2-1" high. They are lit the entire brew session. When I'm finished sparging, I shut the valves on both burners. Then I light the manual burner all by itself, it has no pilot. No need for automation since its just a boil. I just went to lowes for my 1/2 gas pipe. Get the yellow teflon gas tape for the threads. Works great and looks clean. My pilots are nothing more than a flared copper line with a end cap the I drilled a small hole in. My flame is orange which tells me my flame is ineffecient. I didn't have a jewelers drill bit which would be smaller and possibly produce a blue flame.
Snake10

Latest posts

Back