How do I get the most out of added tannin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeJones

Reaction score
I made a couple gallons of cider using recipe variation and different yeast with my brewing club in October. One was made with whole, unpasteurized cider + apple mash. That one tastes great. The others were made with just cider, no mash and they are lacking comparatively. So, my buddy gave me same grape tannin to add with the assumption that this will improve the flavor of the no mash cider. It has instructions on how much to add: 1/8-1/4 tsp per gallon. Has anyone used grape tannin for cider here? Do you think that I'm tasting too early and should wait another month or two before I try to add tannin? Finally, this stuff has a really dark color and I'm worried that it is going to make my cider brown. Any opinions?

Thanks.

I've used "wine tannin," but it was a white powder, not brown. The stuff I used did add a bit of tannin "bite" to the cider, but it also added what I think is an artificial or maybe a plastic-like taste. Hope this info helps. Regards, GF.

Am I understanding that you are adding it after fermentation? I've never added tannin after the fermentation, only before. Also, it doesn't really do much to improve the flavor, it just adds more "presence" to the cider by giving it a stronger body and higher astringency.

Back