Brewing Up Bing Apfelwein Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henny

Reaction score
WooHoo, went to the store yesterday and they had Mott's juice for $3.33 per gallon, happened to walk down the canned fruit isle and spotted this!

51oykYiG5WL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

So here is the plan, 4 gallons of Motts, 2 lbs of Dextrose, 2 cans of bing cherries (not strained)

Couple of suggestions needed,

Will this turn out clear on its own without any additional chemicals?

Should I rack after a while?

Tyia

It will clear with enough time sitting. If you want the cherry flavor to come through I would ferment with out the cherries for about a month. Then rack onto them and let it go another month. Then rack to another carboy and let clear for 2-3 months.

I think its worth mentioning, the pic you posted is for cherries in heavy syrup. I have several cans of oregon cherries in water sitting next to me now, so I gotta ask, which did you buy? I am not sure what they include in their heavy syrup, but it almost always means at least the addition of high fructose corn syrup and possibly some preservatives. I wouldn't want to add corn syrup to my brew, but that's personal preference, but if it has preservatives you're gonna have one hell of a time getting it to ferment.

Well, after fermenting 1 month, I decided to bottle. What a beautiful brew! Crystal clear with a blush color to it. Tastes wonderful! A little hot but not in a bad way. I decided to carb and bottle this batch. We will see how it is after a month of conditioning.

Very dry, if your SWMBO likes chardeney, she will like this. It really needs to condition though, is a tad too hot for wifee, although I like it :drunk:

How strong is the cherry presence? The color of that stuff is just beautiful.

Thanks! The cherry presence is very faint, but definitely there. I gave my neighbor a glass and she thought it tasted like unsweetened red grapes, after a few glasses, I agree.

Enjoying this MUCH more with a little age, it is SUPER good carbonated. Thanks to EdWort for the original!

Latest posts

Back