Evan brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
So I vistited Evan's pad the other day to watch an all-grain , as I'm partial-mashing atm. From watching Yuri's videos I was expecting tons of equipment to be everywhere. But Evan uses the same basic pots and cooler/tun that I use for partial mashes, although on a larger scale! It even made me start thinking that I could handle all-grains after watching Evan brew a batch up.
Also got to try some of his homebrews and they were fantastic. His smoked porter was really, really good.

So where are the photos? ;)

Watching someone do an all grain batch does demystify the process. Depending on your equipment, you should be able to convert to AG fairly easy.

Beeropolis...sorry if I confused you! Glad you were able to do a batch with Evan and see another way of brewing AG.

My rig is way more complex than what's required. I tried to emphasize that in the videos, but maybe that didn't come through. I use steam injection which allows me greater flexibility in terms of step mashing, but the price of flexibility is sometimes complexity. Also, my steam setup is all geeked out with digital controls - a fun project, but not entirely necessary. Some folks use pressure cooker steam rigs that work pretty well without all the geekery.

Whenever new guys come to watch me brew, they usually get pretty intimidated by my brew rig. Some even say, "wow, I was thinking about brewing beer, but this is way too complicated." I always make sure that I explain the ease of extract brewing as well as simpler ways to brew all grain. I don't want anyone to get scared away from the hobby just because I've taken it to an extreme.

Yuri, the first time I was on this thread I watched your videos and I though "holy @!#$ there is no way" your setup is pretty intimidating but now that I do AG with a very simple rig I strive to be at your level someday. I have some brewing books that always say that AG is advanced brewing or for the super experienced, so I was always very leery of getting into AG but with the help of this forum I have found that while AG takes more time it's quite easy.

Yeah, Yuri, WTH, dude? What with all yer fancy go-go-gadget steam injection computerized robot brewin! Gimme a kettle, a burner, and somethin' with a false bottom, and blam! beer. ;)

Hey, Pete, glad you could hang out the other day, and also glad you got to see a more simplified method of AG brewing! Yeah, I end up using a hole rack of pots and coolers and tuns and whatever, but I like my little system. I make damn good beer with it, IMHO, so I haven't really had much motivation to go automated. Some day, perhaps, but for now...this works fine.

If you can do partial mash then normally all that stops people going AG is the capability to do a lager mash, a full boil and cool.

i.e a cooler for a mash tun, a bigger pot and burner and a wort chiller.

You are just normally just using base grain instead of malt extract.

Take a look at my pictorial for KISS brewing.

All grain Pictorial and Video Tutorials.

Back