dreaming of a dubbel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Or a scotch ale (wee heavy).

However I feel I am not yet ready (and unworthy) of brewing a good (to my taste) version of either. Anybody else have a style they really like but do not feel they are ready to brew one yet?

It is tough. I would LOVE to have a good batch of such a beer and have toyed around with recipes for a while. I just do not think I have what it takes to brew such a big, delicious complex style as these. I have no idea when I will be ready but it is a goal I suppose. Though, with all the shortages my dream may not be realized for a while... Anyone ever have a good gruit ale? Maybe we should be pursuing thoses...

I just finished a bottle of Ommegang dubbel so I am feeling most inspired (and pretty good) at the moment. :drunk:

Ó Flannagáin said:
As long as you can keep a decent hold on your fermentation temps, there's no reason not to try. Make a dubbel! You'll love it.

I know I would love it...

If I did it right! I am just not confident enough to be sure it will be all I hoped it would be. I should mention I brewed a wee heavy as the 3rd batch I ever brewed about 4 years ago. It was extract. I thought it was pretty good at the time. However I had never had a commercial example before. I a have since had a handful and I am pretty sure it would have SUCKED in comparison.

Ignorance truly is bliss!

Dude, follow a known recipe to the "t" and you won't have a problem, I promise. Just do it. I brew beers that I want more than anything now and I'm soooo glad I do.

Ya got a good recipe?

I have not followed a recipe for a few years. I like making my own, but I guess it would be a good idea for uncharted territory! ;)

Wish Jamil would cover Dubbels soon!

My tripel (in recipes drop down) turned out real well, it's AG though. It's just a dubbel with a little more ABV, flavor and color.

If you need an extract recipe I'm sure there's something in the database.

knights of Gambrinus said:
Ya got a good recipe?

I have not followed a recipe for a few years. I like making my own, but I guess it would be a good idea for uncharted territory! ;)

Wish Jamil would cover Dubbels soon!

I've got his new book; want me to send you the recipe and notes?

Honestly, if there's a brew you want to do - just do it. Except maybe for some of the sour beers like what Landhoney's experimenting with, the process isn't THAT much different for making a dubbel versus anything else. Just know about things like mash temps and fermentation temps for the yeast and that detail, and if you can put it into play, it's not really any harder than anything else.

I'm a relative noob and haven't done an AG yet. I just recently brewed this one:

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=3887

The LHBS didn't have dark candi sugar, so I used turbinado sugar instead and otherwise followed the directions. The jury is still out, but at bottling, it definitely had that Belgian taste to it. Hopefully in the months to come it will get better-who knows. I hear ya on being frustrated when comparing to the commerical brews...still, I say just go for it. I came up with my own old ale recipe and it ended up being really tasty-maybe not perfect-but still tasty.

Ó Flannagáin said:
My tripel (in recipes drop down) turned out real well, it's AG though. It's just a dubbel with a little more ABV, flavor and color.

If you need an extract recipe I'm sure there's something in the database.

Shouldn't a tripel a higher ABV, and have less color and a differnet flavor profile? I do AG now, I started extract and had little knowledge and possibilities were endless. Now I find the more I know the less I know!

Bird, that would be cool. I do not always agree with Jamil but he definately knows quite a bit and has good tips. I do not really want an "award winning" example. Just one that pleases me and comes close to ones I have tried.

I've heard that AHB's Wee Heavy is pretty good. I wouldn't think twice about brewing it as an extract brew if I were you. Just make sure to give it the time it needs to mature.

Latest posts

Back