• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTT - Wanted to Trade Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rellot

Reaction score
So do people trade yeast on this forum? I've only been around a few weeks, but I haven't seen any yeast trading going on. I've seen a few things online about how to ship yeast on some 3m medium wrapped in foil, or just straight up slants. Or is it like you can't really trust that you are getting what you are told you are getting so people don't trade?

Any help?

Don't take it personally, but many folks, myself included, don't trade anything with non-supporting members due to the anonymous nature of free accounts.

Folks that support the forum, are registered and paid are not anonymous anymore and can setup these kind of trades in a separate section of the forum not accessible to the free accounts.

Just my two pfennigs.

edwort. I never looked into getting an account cause i havent brewed very much and an still getting started (i dont have much to trade that anyone would really want). I have tried searching for what VIP forums there are but cant find anything. Could you please tell me what these forums are or is rule #1 your not allowed to talk about vip forums? Im a pour grad student and money is not the easiest thing to dish out. Just wondering if it is worth the money. P.S. - your Haus Pale Ale is up next on my list :)

Check ur balance in your profile page. Maybe someone else can pitch in. I too, have been in your position and know the meaning of frugality. You seem like a legit, eager to learn person. Enjoy. Send me some yeast!

Edit: Oh wait, not the yeast person. Whatever, send me some beer, I still think your legit. This ain't creepy is it?

wow! and just like that im a member! thank you so much reelale! I will def. repay you in some way. Ive been trying to get into washing yeast as a cost cutting measure and was looking at slanting. I do have lots of cell culture experience so i should get some nice clean slants going!

I truly believe we're all here to help each other out. Life too! Welcome.

****feeling like a second class citizen, I'm just a poor man trying to make some beer *****

I just found the forum, not sure I want to pay $25 bucks a year for the privilege of having more space in my inbox and an avatar.

But that being said, if I did become a supporter, are there secret forums where paid members actively trade yeast? That might be worth the cash.

****feeling like a second class citizen, I'm just a poor man trying to make some beer *****

I just found the forum, not sure I want to pay $25 bucks a year for the privilege of having more space in my inbox and an avatar.

But that being said, if I did become a supporter, are there secret forums where paid members actively trade yeast? That might be worth the cash.

Maybe........
I think of it as an investment of keeping the forum what it is. a very active place with very helpful and for the most part polite people. there is a techy somewhere slaving away to keep this place running I'm paying for his (her) caffeine and brewing ingredients. in return we get the awesomeness that is HBT

So do people trade yeast on this forum? I've only been around a few weeks, but I haven't seen any yeast trading going on. I've seen a few things online about how to ship yeast on some 3m medium wrapped in foil, or just straight up slants. Or is it like you can't really trust that you are getting what you are told you are getting so people don't trade?

Any help?

Honestly, are there that many yeasts that would be worth trading? The labs are offering a great selection these days, with some of the harder to find stuff rotating through their special releases. Doesn't seem worth it to ship stuff around when you can just buy a fresh pack/vial for $6-$8.

Edit, I just checked out BayouBrew's collection, and the BrewTek stuff might be the exception. Don't know what they had that was unique, though.

If some people happen to have several different strains that they could trade, I think it is it not worth it, especially if they have a bad selection at there lhbs. Maybe they are ordering theirs online and paying shipping anyway. Maybe they end up trading with some1 close by and just meet up shoot the ****, share some homebrews, and maybe find a new brew buddy.

I've traded my yeast for empty WL vials and got 20+ vials now. I currently only have 2 strains in my rotation and think trading could be a good thing for the right people.

Just 7 so far

Wyeast 1728 Scotch Ale
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
White Labs WLP 840 American Lager
White Labs WLP 833 German Bock
Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier

Looks like I have a few you don't have. Which do you want?

I wouldn't mind these from your list
WY4184 - Sweet Mead
WLP380 - Hefeweizen IV ale
WLP004 - Irish ale

And of course any of the BrewTek, since you can't get them anymore.

Back