Testing starter gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Without a refractomer, how are you folks testing your starter's gravity? It would seem like you'd have to use too much wort to use a hydrometer, and with how clean we try to keep the starters pouring it back is a no-no.

Thanks,

-Joe

I don't usually test the gravity of my starters. I know that 1/2 cup DME in 2 cups of water = 1.040 or so. If I'm in doubt that my starter fermented, then I will use a turkey baster (sanitized) and pull my sample that way to my hydrometer flask. It's not really much beer- just about 3-4 ounces or less, I'd guess.

I don't usually test the gravity of my starters. I know that 1/2 cup DME in 2 cups of water = 1.040 or so. If I'm in doubt that my starter fermented, then I will use a turkey baster (sanitized) and pull my sample that way to my hydrometer flask. It's not really much beer- just about 3-4 ounces or less, I'd guess.

+1 here.
I usually make a 1L starter. I use a cup of DME and it should be ~1.040-1.044
Close enough for me. I want yeast multiplication, and don't worry about OG.
When I make a lager, I make a 2L starter, but the same ratio applies.
I made a big beer recently (1.095 OG) and didn't do anything different than any other ale. It went from the OG to 1.030 in 48 hrs. That seems to be working well.
I think a stir plate makes a world of difference.
Brew on! :mug:

+1. 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water always works for me.

Back