Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popeye14

Reaction score
I brewed 3 days ago and used a dry yeast. Didn't rehydrate the yeast and I don't see much activity . Can I pitch more yeast or should I wait ?

A little more info would be helpful.

What yeast?

Fermentation temp?

By saying you dont see much activity, what are you referring to? Airlock?

Are you fermenting in a carboy or bucket?

I am brewing a five gallon batch in a six gallon carboy. I see a little bubbling but not much yeast activity. I used a dry yeast and poured in on top of the wart , most of it sat on top for a little while . Should I have stirred it ? I didnt know I should've rehydrate the yeast. I temp was 68 when I pitched. The SG was 1.045 right where it was supposed to be . I never used dry yeast before not sure what to do . Any help would be appreciated .

I use a bucket for primary fermentation, and I pitch(sprinkle) the dry yeast, do my cleanup of my pots and stovetop, then stir in the yeast. Usually 15 minutes later.

Yeah I thought u shouldn't stir it after u add the yeast . I guess it's just learning and reading more . Thanks

You would have gotten faster fermentation if the wort was aerated and if the yeast was first rehydrated. Sounds like everything else is good and the yeast should kick in.

I am brewing a five gallon batch in a six gallon carboy. I see a little bubbling but not much yeast activity. I used a dry yeast and poured in on top of the wart , most of it sat on top for a little while . Should I have stirred it ? I didnt know I should've rehydrate the yeast. I temp was 68 when I pitched. The SG was 1.045 right where it was supposed to be . I never used dry yeast before not sure what to do . Any help would be appreciated .

don't stir dry yeast after you pour it in; it'll eat it's way down.

rehydrating? ongoing debate. yes, it helps, but doesn't make or break the fermentation.

68 degrees? perfect for most ale yeasts, but can't say without knowing the type

1.045? 1 pack can handle it easily

let it go. it may be an old pack of yeast. did you just remove it from the fridge and pitch? if so, let it warm up first, at least. it should be ok, with a little extra fermentation time

It is a dark lager bock.i used I pack of Saflager dry yeast . Thanks for your help. I'll get it eventually . Lol

Latest posts

Back