The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had it, I'm going to Human Resources.

Dear Paul,

We've considered your complaint, but have decided based on your history and the many complaints of sexual harassment from members of both sexes and several LGBT organizations that your word alone cannot be trusted.

Regards,
Human Resources Help Desk

Randar said:
Dear Paul,

We've considered your complaint, but have decided based on your history and the many complaints of sexual harassment from members of both sexes and several LGBT organizations that your word alone cannot be trusted.

Regards,
Human Resources Help Desk

Well at least you seem to be disregarding the spurious complaints from those ungrateful barnyard critters.

My BIL brought me a bottle when he came to visit (he lives in the Netherlands). Been saving it for a special occasion; debating whether the quirk of the calendar is special enough.

Snails are good. As is the Westy. But for $85/6 pack I want a hottie in a string bikini serving it to me. In fact I want to be drinking it from her belly button on a beach in Jamaica. Now THAT would be worth it. But at $85/6 that's about $1.25 a fluid ounce.

I've been arguing with Walker-San about the Westy pricing. $85 for a sixer is what, fourteen bucks a bottle? With the glasses included, it's like $12 or $13 a bottle. I've spend more than that on a bottle of beer PLENTY of times, I just don't usually buy a full six pack of something that expense at a time. Bought a bottle of Rochefort 8 a little while ago for maybe $8 or $9, don't remember and didn't think twice about paying it.

The entire idea of it irritates me. Up till now they were reclusive monks living in seclusion from the secular world. They were monks first and brewers a far distant second. Running out of beer to sell wasn't an issue, missing prayers because you were sparking an extra batch of beer to meet demand was.

This seems totally wrong to me. It was their adherence to their monastic lifestyle while brewing a great beer that made it special. I felt privileged to go to the Abby and have a few beers. It was very expensive to do so but I didn't mind paying that premium. They were monks who happened to make a great beer. The fact that tourists were making pilgrimages to their Abby didn't affect them, they were men who chose to live behind walls.

That seems to have all changed. Now it's about grubbing money. Anyone who abandons their values in the pursuit of money cheapens themselves and by extension all of us. I doubt I'll be buying any

I agree with bird. I think I've paid a lot for a BMC in expensive bars just because it was the only thing available. It's the money versus values argument. It's like a donation to me. They've been pretty restrictive on the price and even the date of release. They're using it for their renovations and I have no problem defining it as charity ;) It's benefiting the material world which money does enter to a lot. It drives me crazy with beer snobs arguing that they've had better and proceed to list what they've been able to get on the black market. It's just beer. Enjoy it. or even better brew it.

EDIT: Actually the ones that irritate me are the ones that horde something like Kate the Great or Dark Lord and then sell it on the black market to make money or pay for their share. The hype for westy is created from outside their walls. These others just are the money grubbers.

That seems to have all changed. Now it's about grubbing money. Anyone who abandons their values in the pursuit of money cheapens themselves and by extension all of us. I doubt I'll be buying any

Who's to say that they're money-grubbing? Who's to say that they aren't taking their profits from these beer sales and using those monies to support their charitable endeavors? That's the whole point of selling beer (or jam, or cheesecakes, or anything), to get enough $$ to support the monastery and anything that's left over is supposed to be used for charity.

I've always thought that the monks were dumb to NOT take advantage of the supply/demand imbalance; sell more beer to guys like us, and use our money to do good works. It's charitable giving that we can all support because it gets us drunk.

To put it in perspective how many times have you been at a restaurant and your lady friend wants to order a bottle of wine that is 5x the price of what you could pick up across the street and bring in? That puts a certain twitch in me when I see the bill. I've yet to have a beer that has truly blown my mind compared to a good wine or scotch. It's more about enjoying the experience. Travelling to the abbey would be a good experience tho.

They brew to live the life of solitude and prayer. Their life of solitude does include acts of charity outside of the Abbey but they tend to stay away from money. Unfortunately they need money to rebuild their abbey. I wonder if you could convince them you'd work for beer and avoid this whole money problem. Show them your mega tun portfolio.

I think it is very expensive, $85 for sixpack. I would maybe buy one or two bottles, one to drink and one to store. I can't justify paying that much for a six pack of beer. I could see it as a donation to charity as every six pack is for a brick for the Abbey. Still I see this as Paul said, it cheapens their morals, that's the way I see it. People have made that pilgrimage for years to say they've drank the beer and drank the beer on their terms.

It "cheapens the beer" because they did a limited release, meaning a small number of huge beer nerds can, for once in about ten years, actually go into a store and buy a six pack.... So they can raise funds to build/improve thier abbey??

You guys are fckin retarded.

OMG! We're talking about beer on this thread? Better not let PTN find out.

Can't wait for the Catholics to start brewing behind the pulpit. Bet that would get Jesus down from his cross.

It's like saying Pliney the Elder doesn't taste good anymore because Vinnie got caught using RR profits on hookers. Who the fck cares where the money is going?? The beer tastes the same, it is consistantly mentioned as one of the best beers on the planet, and these guys are now knocking it because the brewers are selling a little more of it in the States on a limited basis???

Wow.

Sorry... You lost me on that one.

I hadn't been paying a lot of attention to the release, since I have my own source for this beer now. But since they're selling more beer because the abbey needs repairs... that's exactly the reason that the monks make beer in the first place. I don't think they view their purpose in life is to brew the greatest beer known to mankind; selling beer is a means to an end, so fine - they need money, if I see Westy 12 in the store I'll give them my damn money!

Cheapens? All I know is a good quad six pack is going to keep me warm tailgating this Sunday night at Gillette (j/k). Let's hope for snow (n/k)!

Julio's had a sweet belgian beer tasting along with the release. Never had De Molen's.

has anyone up in mass found that westvleteren XII stuff? apparently it wasn't released to any stores here in CT... i was looking for a few sets of it as gifts for friends but haven't been able to locate it anywhere...

has anyone up in mass found that westvleteren XII stuff? apparently it wasn't released to any stores here in CT... i was looking for a few sets of it as gifts for friends but haven't been able to locate it anywhere...

My packie, Redstone Liquors in Stoneham was selling them. They started selling them at 5pm. There was a line at 1pm for them. I passed.

Back