clostridium butyricum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spearko520

Reaction score
i have a wild beer that just started fermenting in a barrel, and it has a bit of vomity smell to it. it doesn't taste putrid, but i am wondering if brett will clear this up, over time. I have brett a, b, and c, wyeast roselare, pedio culture, JP weizenbam and parcela dregs, and weyerbacher riserva dregs in the barrel. I guess i am just going to leave in and wait and see what happens, any thoughts?

Chad Yakobson at Crooked Stave actually intentionally made a butyrified a batch, in the hopes that the Brett would turn it into the tropical ester ethyl butyrate. It worked, sort of. The bottle of Pure Guava Petite Sour did have a really nice big fruity aroma, but also a bit of Parmesan. So there is hope, but without knowing concentrations on either beer it is hard to predict. He also cut his beer with a soured wit, so blending is an option as well to often the character.

Good luck!

thanks man- you have given me hope- this is a barrel that is now full, and i remember a 5 gallon sour mash batch that went in early having a slight bit of it- i don't know if it spored in the barrel or what, but i have a fairly actively fermenting beer and i guess i will just wait it out and see what happens. The taste seems to be developing, but i really hope that nose dies down a bit... can i expect the other organisms to take over, or will (can) clostridium compete and survive throughout the fermentation?

Did you boil the sour mashed batch?

I’d be surprised if it could survive the moderate alcohol and low pH of the beer, but a quick Google search didn’t turn up anything useful. The more strains of Brett you have in there the betteryour chances of getting one that can make an ester of it, interested to hear how this turn out. I tend to avoid tasting sours early on so I don’t get freaked out at the odd flavors that appear.

i did - but it was putrid - i let the mash go too long at a low temp, but i figured i would rock with it. the taste is all right- it's the smell. i didn't think 5 gallons would taint the whole batch (taint)- but i guess it did for now. i know what you're saying about getting freaked by early sampling, and this is very early on, it's just from what i info i have been able to find, i can't figure out if it will out- compete everything else in the barrel for long term dominance. i guess i would think not- i'm going to check pH as soon as i'm done my business... i will definitely keep you posted. My wife will freak if i add another barrel- but this seems like a good excuse

well pH is at 4, sg at 08. the butyricum is cleaning up from the aroma, def getting more fruit, less puke. thanks for the chill out- i think this will make the long haul...will keep you posted

well pH is at 4, sg at 08. the butyricum is cleaning up from the aroma, def getting more fruit, less puke. thanks for the chill out- i think this will make the long haul...will keep you posted

Glad to hear. Sour beers can really make you worry sometimes.

Back