Sudden drop in efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
I have done AG for about a dozen batches now (single infusion, double batch sparge), and have had efficiencies in the 80's every time until my last batch.

Recipe is a simple wit I have done several times but this time I tried to do extreme brewing's blood orange hefe with my wit recipe.

5.5 gallon
4lbs belgian pils
5lbs unmalted wheat
4oz quick oats
90min boil

previously getting 1.057 OG this time i got 1.041 :(
A lot went wrong on this one but I was hoping I could get some help figuring out what the major cause of the poor efficiency was...

Mashed in at 1.25 qts/lb usually I do 1.125 qts/lb.
Missed mash temp low added another 1/2 gallon hot water to get up to 154*
Because of greater volume of first runnings I had less room in my boil kettle than usual and didn't have room for all of my third runnings.
7 gallons into kettle, ran out of propane after 30min, it cooled for half hour while I got my tank filled, fired back up boiled 60 more minutes, topped off in fermenter with 1/2 gallon that I steeped the oranges in. I ended up with 6 gallons at 1.041 and brew calculus puts that at 47% efficiency.

Any chance you didn't stir well enough before taking a reading?

Did you take a preboil gravity reading? This is essential and should be done for every beer.

Change in the homebrew shop's crush?

-I don't think so, measurement was after I aerated before pitching.

-I did not. What do you get from a preboil gravity reading? I always assumed it was irrelevant until you are at your final volume, postboil.

-New kid filling grain bills but same crusher...?

Back