First label, Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
The SWMBO was the first to critique my label. While she likes it, she thinks I need to create more whitespace. Anyway, I'm not a graphic designer by trade, but feel confident I can improve my skills. Luckily, we were able to purchase CS5 through her work for $180. Well worth it!

Anyway, I am also curious what you guys use as for labels. I purchased staples brand inkjet fullpage labels. It was $35 for 100 labels and I can fit 3 (4" x 6.5") labels per page. The only problem with these labels are that they are not water resistant. The only full-page water resistant labels I could find were obviously vinyl, but cost $112 for 100 sheets at labelsbythesheet.com. Do you have any other recommendations?

Here's my first label for a dunkelweizen I made. I love the name, Drunken Uncle Dunkel. Everyone has an Uncle Dunkel, right????

DUD1.jpg

It's good, but I think your wife is right about the white space, it feels a little crowded.

I would suggest removing the line of bottles above the title, and moving the title up a little. This would allow you to uncompress the Dunkel text veritcally, giving the label a more spacious feel that is balanced more squarely, rather than feeling a little too stretched horizontally.

You could round off the recipe grain bill percentages to visually clean the numbers up a little.

I am not a fan of using too many different fonts, so I would change the recycle section's font to match.

CS5 is nice software. I have wasted many hours on YouTube trying to figure out how to use it.

+1 for more negative space and limiting fonts.

You may want to include color to increase the hierarchy of the logo.

Back