Anyone know what this kind of glass is called?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaba

Reaction score
Besides goblet or chalice, is there a proper name for a glass like this? They're about 12oz. All I've been able to find is that most of them were made by the Federal Glass Company in the 70s. Libbey had a similar design in the 70s with square corners instead of round. I really like them as beer glasses, but I have only been able to find them randomly on ebay and at thrift stores.

WJhl2.jpg

A friend's meal from the other night too....
D9AfA.jpg

I *just* picked up one of these at a local thrift store. My favorite Beer glass so far. I actually had two of these in my hands, brought them up to the counter before I realized one of them was cracked.

I *just* picked up one of these at a local thrift store. My favorite Beer glass so far. I actually had two of these in my hands, brought them up to the counter before I realized one of them was cracked.

what is so great about them? they look really really easy to tip over

what is so great about them? they look really really easy to tip over

They are more stable than any stemware really because the center of gravity is lower while the base is still about the same size. I like the tulip-like shape on top which really opens up the aroma, and the way the thinner bottom part of the glass displays the beer.

Plus, for me the size is really perfect as I prefer a little smaller pour. Speaking of which, I get better pours into this glass than some of my other glassware though that's kind of beside the point.

wife brought home 6 of them in two different sizes from the thrift store. 15 cents a piece I believe. I like mine as well.

They are more stable than any stemware really because the center of gravity is lower while the base is still about the same size. I like the tulip-like shape on top which really opens up the aroma, and the way the thinner bottom part of the glass displays the beer.

Plus, for me the size is really perfect as I prefer a little smaller pour. Speaking of which, I get better pours into this glass than some of my other glassware though that's kind of beside the point.

I agree completely. I also like the way the glass fits in my hand. Its easier to swirl beer around and warm it in your hand if it is too cold.

Besides goblet or chalice, is there a proper name for a glass like this? They're about 12oz. All I've been able to find is that most of them were made by the Federal Glass Company in the 70s. Libbey had a similar design in the 70s with square corners instead of round. I really like them as beer glasses, but I have only been able to find them randomly on ebay and at thrift stores.

I know a British pint glass is properly known as a Tulip glass. Perhaps, we could call this one a Rose glass or some other flower.

I have seen that referred to as a snifter. It is mainly for Belgians, Stouts, and Barley Wines.

Back