Why Don't I Make More Stouts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
This seems to be an emerging pattern: I get so sick of black beer during the winter that I don't make any for several months.

Last winter I had too much Stout. I had what seemed to be a steady stream of black beer. I ended up trudging my way through the last of it and got back to making IPAs.

Now I'm still maintaining a pipeline of IPA, but it's time to get stouting again. I need to make one for my brother in-law's birthday in December, so I need to hone in on a recipe, so I brewed one several weeks ago.

I just tapped this first new stout of the year, and I am in love. I can't hardly avoid going down there just for another hit from the faucet.

Maybe this winter I won't overdo it and I'll be able to keep one handle on stout all year round.

I made a ten gal batch of Belgian strong ale and I'll forever regret it. I can imagine being blacked out by stouts. Its good that your back into em. I would like to keep a nice and lighter stout for the summer and drink it in between wheats and heffs. I cant wait to get back into porters and stouts for this winter.

I vowed to always have a Stout in rotation................... havent had one on tap since April...............................

Meatheads, we both are.

Stout in the winter, then a porter in the spring. Low-gravity brown for the summer, barley wine for the fall (NPI).

I'm pretty seasonal with my beer preferences, but it's not because I burn myself out on certain beers during certain times of the year.

I simply don't want to drink a heavy stout when it's 98*F degrees outside!

I drink stout all year long, I can't get enough of it personally. :D I do tend to drink less during the summer though for the same reason as Walker. A nice mild or bitter works best for me in the hot months.

I'm pretty seasonal with my beer preferences, but it's not because I burn myself out on certain beers during certain times of the year.

I simply don't want to drink a heavy stout when it's 98*F degrees outside!

Oddly, the residents of Jamaica, Sri Lanka etc do.

My Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout "blacked me out". I Still have a couple of gallons of it, getting very little play time in this near 100 degree summer.

I try to make alot of stout in the winter to last the rest of the year. I agree also though that it is generally too heavy for the summer and mostly gets used for indoor tastings.

Oddly, the residents of Jamaica, Sri Lanka etc do.

I just made this: It's good anytime of the year (and strong).

Moonless Tropical Night / Foreign Extra Stout
OG 1.071
FG 1.020 -1.015

12.5 lbs. Maris Otter
12 oz.Crisp Roast barley (550L)
10 oz Simpsons medium crystal malt
10 oz Simpsons dark crystal malt
8 oz Crisp Chocolate malt (412l)
2.4 oz. East Kent Goldings (pellets) - 60 min
2 pkg Nottingham dry yeast (rehydrated) or Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Mash @ 152F
Ferment @ 68 F (a little tartness from the yeast is nice)

Back