Just bottled first batch - whats the best temp for carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkyking

Reaction score
Just finished brewing my first batch of homebrew (Brewers Best - American Pale Ale). The basement where I've been working is a steady 60 degrees. Fermentation seemed to go fine - will it carbonate at that temp? I've got limited storage options. I can move it into a cabinet in the kitchen, but that gets close to 80 degrees when we run the dishwasher.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition....

That belgian strong needed another 6 months before it even became drinkable....

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If you fermented at 60 then it will carb at 60 may take a couple extra weeks past the 3 week norm

Back