Peanut Butter Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVM71

Reaction score
I saw my LHBS had a Brewers Best Peanut Butter flavoring extract and I was wondering how it might be if I used a Brewers Best Porter kit and added the extract at bottle time.

Anyone ever use this particular extract or have any thoughts on this idea?

I saw my LHBS had a Brewers Best Peanut Butter flavoring extract and I was wondering how it might be if I used a Brewers Best Porter kit and added the extract at bottle time.

Anyone ever use this particular extract or have any thoughts on this idea?

I have made some real strange experiments but this sounds like a good idea

I would not go real hoppy as you would be trying to have the penut butter taste shine, just enough hops to bitter and not much more

but those are my thoughts

and hey, put it in, someone will drink it

I've seen the powdered PB before and thought of using that but noticed the PB extract the other day and figured that would be a lot easier. Plus, I've used some of their other extracts and have always been pleased with the outcome. I'm thinking my next batch will be a BB Porter kit and then adding the PB extract at bottle time. Updates will be posted.

yes if you are going to make a peanut beer use the powdered stuff..it had all the oil removed

I've seen the powdered PB before and thought of using that but noticed the PB extract the other day and figured that would be a lot easier. Plus, I've used some of their other extracts and have always been pleased with the outcome. I'm thinking my next batch will be a BB Porter kit and then adding the PB extract at bottle time. Updates will be posted.

Definitely keep us posted... I'm not sure how I'd like a peanut butter porter... but maybe a CHOCOLATE & peanut butter porter... or stout. :)

I actually put some 2 row in the oven at around 320 for 20-30 mins and it tasted and smelled like peanuts...might wanna try that

I just brewed a chocolate peanut butter stout yesterday. The peanut butter powder (PB2) and chocolate powder go in after a week of fermentation in the primary. Transfer to secondary on top of the powders. I'll try to keep posted how it turns out. :ban:

DuClaw Brewing out of Baltimore makes one of these, called Sweet Baby Jesus. I was surprised at how good this stuff was. I googled a clone recipe, and didn't come up with much. Someone here on HBT has listed the ingredients, that could be a starting point for you. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

I kegged my third attempt at a peanut buttercup porter on the 24th and added the whole 4 oz bottle to the keg... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390875864.593938.jpg

My first two attempts I used only pb2 to achieve peanut flavor and neither adding to boil or adding to secondary resulted in any noticeable peanut flavor.

I will post back after the beer has time to carb up and the flavors to come together (2 weeks).

I saw that stuff at the homebrew store too. I was going to buy it, but there is nothing "craft" about adding artificial flavoring to beer IMO. The only problem is the powdered stuff is like $7 a jar and it takes 2-3 for a 5 gallon batch to have a noticeable impact.

oh well, my search continues...

I saw that stuff at the homebrew store too. I was going to buy it, but there is nothing "craft" about adding artificial flavoring to beer IMO. The only problem is the powdered stuff is like $7 a jar and it takes 2-3 for a 5 gallon batch to have a noticeable impact.

oh well, my search continues...

Yeah, it wasn't my first choice either, but after chasing a beer flavor for 6 months you find yourself trying things you first ruled out.

If this doesn't get it I'm gonna try ALOT of smashed up peanuts in the secondary (also ruled out due to no head).

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Porter will be mine!!!!

Yeah, it wasn't my first choice either, but after chasing a beer flavor for 6 months you find yourself trying things you first ruled out.

If this doesn't get it I'm gonna try ALOT of smashed up peanuts in the secondary (also ruled out due to no head).

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Porter will be mine!!!!

a buddy of mine attempted a PB&J beer before and I think he just "dry-nutted" (lol) in secondary. It was a while ago, but I remember a good amount of peanut aroma and flavor in there. head retention was not the best though

I picked up that same PB extract and figured I would add the whole 4 ounces when I bottle. My porter is currently fermenting so this weekend should be bottle time and we'll find out in a few weeks. Let me know how your batch turns out.

I kegged my third attempt at a peanut buttercup porter on the 24th and added the whole 4 oz bottle to the keg...View attachment 175314

My first two attempts I used only pb2 to achieve peanut flavor and neither adding to boil or adding to secondary resulted in any noticeable peanut flavor.

I will post back after the beer has time to carb up and the flavors to come together (2 weeks).

So here it is 2+ weeks later.

I will NOT be adding that product to any of my future brews ever again.

It does not even taste like peanuts. Has some chemically taste that I can't even begin to describe. I not even sure if I want to finish the keg or just pour it out.

Final recommendation is to search elsewhere for a peanut flavoring as you will not find it with this product

Latest posts

Back