MAX31865 RTD to Digital Converter (pt100)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquiddog

Reaction score
I just ordered three of these chips. Anybody else interested in figuring out how to interface one with an Arduino? More to come. :)

Any particular reason that you want to use pt100 with the Arduino instead of the ds18b20? ds18b20's are very very good and easy to work with. All of mine have been super linear and they all give out the same reading -> no need to calibrate like the analog devices.

Keep us posted how it goes. I'm waiting for an AD620, so I can add scale(s) on my Arduino....

I just ordered three of these chips. Anybody else interested in figuring out how to interface one with an Arduino? More to come. :)

They interface over SPI (Serial Peripheral Interface). I have done a ton of C code for SPI devices so I could help you with that but I've never used Arduino hardware or the wiring language.

They have a SPI library but as I said I've never used it. The Maxim device uses half-word (16 bit) transfers and I don't know if the library handles transfers that large...

- Matt.

I'm trying to do this exact thing but with PT1000. Have you had any luck?

Haven't quite made it to this project. I'm planning to pick up a Schmart board this weekend to mount the chip. Not the cheapest route ($10 per chip) but looks like the easiest.

One of the above comments suggests the standard Arduino libraries may not support this chip's SPI interface which I'm also going to look at this weekend.

Haven't quite made it to this project. I'm planning to pick up a Schmart board this weekend to mount the chip. Not the cheapest route ($10 per chip) but looks like the easiest.

One of the above comments suggests the standard Arduino libraries may not support this chip's SPI interface which I'm also going to look at this weekend.

Update?

Bit-banging a SPI interface is very easy. Don't be intimidated.

I ordered the ev kit and it worked great but would still like to use with uno board. Any update?

Tjackson,

Are you still looking for a library for max31865? I can made a preliminary library for max31865. I am in the process of finalizing it and will post it on Arduino Libraries section later in the month of July. It works with Arduino Due. Please note max31865 works on 3.3 V logic level. If you plan on interfacing max31865 with Arduino Uno, you will have to use a level shifter in between.

For library drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks
Hani Abidi

Back