I'm officially an All Grain brewer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
I started brewing back in September. Followed the usual path, extract, extract + steeping grains, partial mash, with a few meads and ciders in between. Last weekend, I did my first all grain batch, with my own recipe no less! I think it went well, hit my numbers (well, ended up having higher efficiency, ~78%, calculated for 70%).

Now, I didn't post this last weekend because I figured it could just be a fluke. Yesterday, I did not one but two batches, a nut brown ale (that someone posted to me on another thread) and a hefeweizen (bee cave recipe). Both went well too, ended up with 76% and 78% efficiency. Woohoo!

I shall now call it official! I had a blast! I'm only doing 3 gallon batches with stovetop + heatstick, next step is building a electric BK that I can do full batches with.

I couldn't have done it without everyone here; I've read TONS of posts, and all of you are what got me to this point. Thanks HBT community!

Cheers!

Kosch

Thanks everyone! It's funny, even though I can only do ~3 gallon batches, I just don't feel like doing extract anymore, I'd much rather do 2 x 3 gallon AG batches instead!

Now let's hope they actually turn out lol.

Grats man. I just switched to AG myself after 2 years of doing extract with steeped grains. Still made a lot of great beers and one award winner that way but AG is so much more fun. First one I did i had a pretty low efficiency but it still tasted great. My second AG is in the fermenter now and i ended up getting above 80% efficiency with it. Can't wait to try it.

Cool now you can dial in recipes - I still do 3 gallon Belgian batches that I bottle - they are a great way to brew for variety

Back