Deployed and miss brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zelltj

Reaction score
Well, I've been in the 'Stan for about a month and the bug has got me. I miss brewing so much that I almost crave it. I'm left thinking through my brew processes and pretending that I'm brewing. All I can think about it is upgrading my setup and building a new rig. This deployment is going to take forever! At least in the end I should have enough cash saved up to build a nice new single teir. Does anyone have any good ideas? Maybe someone can point me in the direction of some good builds so I can print them off during my limited time on the internet. Thanks everyone!!!

Step one: Browse the DIY subforum daily.
Step two: Spend ALL your money the week you get back.

Step 2 isn't a problem for most people coming off deployment.

I came back from Iraq with about $15k. $5K went towards my car, $5K went towards 2 weeks in Ukraine (best vacation EVER!), and the rest went to student loan and credit card debt.

All that within about a 1 month span.

Oh, I also spent quite a bit Halloween weekend in Vegas.

Good times.

Got it! I'm not sure if I'll come back with that much. I've got a wife and kid at home so I don't get to save as much as I would like. I also tend to put myself way in debt before I leave. Then I have to spend the 7 months digging myself back out!

I know how you feel man. I've been here 6 months and miss brewing beer more than I miss drinking it. Good luck during your time here and may you brew many fine beers when you return.

Ya know... I'm not sure exactly what I want to do. I know I want to build some sort of single teir system with a pump or 2 running off propane (for now). I think I want to avoid having to buy a bunch of new equipment. My orange cooler and Bayou Classic SS pot work just fine. I don't know... This just gives me something to dream about for a while. I've got 6 months before I'm out of here so I've got plenty of time to plan.

Thanks for your service Athos! If it wasn't a punishable offense, I'd start brewing in my tent. Maybe some Apfelwien..... >:)

I'd start by GIS single tier brew stands and look at the images. Most of them seem to be located at some site called homebrewtalk.com. I don't think you can search the HBT images directly though.

Latest posts

Back