Ale yeast for steam beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motleybrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got am brewing a California Common steam beer style kit from true brew. It came with a fermentis Saflager s-23 yeast.

I don't have the space to lager. Can I use an ale yeast from wyeast?

Thanks

motleybrews said:
Got am brewing a California Common steam beer style kit from true brew. It came with a fermentis Saflager s-23 yeast.

I don't have the space to lager. Can I use an ale yeast from wyeast?

Thanks

You can. Now go forth and make great beer dammit!

Yes, of course you can. But it won't be a steam beer since a steam beer is a lager fermented at ale temperatures, with lager yeast.

A steam beer with ale yeast is more like an American amber.

If you use Wyeast 2112, ferment in the mid 60s, and then cold condition if you can, that will be a steam beer.

Cool, then I'll just use the yeast that came with it. I sent out the SOS because I bought the Wyeast pack for a different beer, and when I was carrying all my crap into the apartment, the Wyeast pack fell, and apparently hit the ground hard enough to smack the nutrient pack. So I thought I could just use that.

But, I'll consider that a $5 loss and go to the LHBS tomorrow for another. I'm sure he's sick of me going in there! I've always got a question or some money burning a hole in my pocket

Cool, then I'll just use the yeast that came with it. I sent out the SOS because I bought the Wyeast pack for a different beer, and when I was carrying all my crap into the apartment, the Wyeast pack fell, and apparently hit the ground hard enough to smack the nutrient pack. So I thought I could just use that.

But, I'll consider that a $5 loss and go to the LHBS tomorrow for another. I'm sure he's sick of me going in there! I've always got a question or some money burning a hole in my pocket

Your Wyeast pack is fine. Just put it in the fridge. It'll be fine when you want to use it. Just make a starter (like you should anytime you use liquid yeast anyway) to ensure viability.

If you're not willing to spend the extra few dollars on 2112, use the S-23. Ferment it in the low-mid 60's and then you can actually call it a steam beer.

Basically, what Yooper said

Thank Yooper! You've been a tremendous help the last few days (and long before that indirectly).

Per your suggestion in another thread I started, I am cold crashing my cream ale. Here's my fridge. It's not my beer fridge. Lol. Don't have one of those yet. This is my food fridge!
175375b6.jpg

goodgodilovebeer said:
If you're not willing to spend the extra few dollars on 2112, use the S-23. Ferment it in the low-mid 60's and then you can actually call it a steam beer.

Basically, what Yooper said

Thank you. I asked about the 2112 but they were out. I was planning on using the s-23 but didn't want to waste the smack pack

Who needs food?

The SWMBO and I just moved into a house. Couldn't get out of my apartment lease. The new house has a detached house (an inlaw house?!?!) that is slowly but surely being turned into my brewery/bar. While I'm working on that (full handmade wooden bar, kegerator with 4 or 5 taps, AG setup, fermentation fridge, a fridge for other peoples beer, 50 inch TV with PS3, etc...basically the whole 9 yards) I'm doing all my brewing at the apartment.

Basically when we have parties, we don't want people hanging in the main house, so they'll be able to toss their swill into a fridge and hang out in there or in the yard.

quit talking about steam beers, my world is still too warm to ferment a steam!! i love them and i have been out for months. i'll make another IIPA and forget all about it.

Yea, it's still quite warm in Memphis, but my apartment stays around 62 just so I can brew in there. If I stayed there more often than I do it'd be a problem.

It's nice brewing in there. Makes it easier to walk away and forget it when your beers are a couple miles away. I usually check them once a day during the first few days of fermentation just to make sure they haven't blown their tops

Back