cleaning kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roesso

Reaction score
just got my kegs in and i was wondering if i could wash them up with some oxi-clean not ready to keg yet but i just want to clean them up

roesso

yeah.. that should get any residual gunk off the walls, etc. I would still DEFINITLY hit them with a one step before you siphon in your precious :)

Are they rebuilt with new O-rings yet?

Take the in/out posts off, and pop the spring loaded poppets out, soak them in hot water with Oxy. Take the dip tubes out, soak the short one with the posts but put the long one inside the keg and soak it in there.

To clean the outside, use a 3m scrubby pad or the back of a sponge with some Oxy or better yet, barkeepeers friend. Use a razor blade to scrape any stickers or residue off.

how long should i let the insides of the kegs soak before i rinse them out

roesso

Just a good scrubbing should clean the inside. I use a bottle brush on the keg and small brushes on the posts.

Unless you noticed some hard grunge just a minute of 2 should suffice

I also use the 3m pads inside around the lid area because I can't see it unless I get an extention mirror so I just give it a good scrubing instead.

I got a stiff bristled toothbrush for the posts and threads and give all my new kegs a good, solid scrubbing--- who knows what was in them last. I also have a brush for the inside of the dip tubes( recycled from my camelback cleaning kit).

When it is totally clean and ready to fly make sure you do a pressure test. Close it up, push 30-45 pounds of pressure on the thing and submerge it in a tub of water for a while and see if it leaks. It sucks to put beer in a keg only to discover you have a ****ty seal on a post, a leaky pressure release valve or a bent lid that won't seat.

I gave my kegs a good six-hour scrubbing when I got them (I have five kegs). I had to replace a few parts and all o-rings and get some rust spots and other crud out with Bar Keepers Friend and a Scothbrite pad, and they got a good soaking in Straight-A to boot. Then again, these were REALLY nasty - yours might not need nearly as much work.

Leave a good dose of Oxyclean in them overnight. That stuff works wonders if the concentration is high enough.

Give a GOOD rinse. I use high dose of sulfite now for my sani. If it's strong enough that the odor sears your nose... it's strong enough to sanitize, lol.

I take off all the o-rings and give em a good lube with keg lube. I also wrap the post threads with teflon tape. I also make unique marks on the lid when I get them so I know how they lined up. I also number my lids and kegs so I don't mix n match. Ohhh and last year at band camp???

where can i find rebuild kit at for a good price for the ball lock keg i do not no if the seals are good i think i am going to rebuild them

roesso

Back