Double batch sparge question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidtpd

Reaction score
I'm new to AG brewing. I have done a few 5 gallon batches on my rims system. I use promash for my receipes. After MLT conversion, I up my temp. to 170. I circulate at that temp for 5 minutes and do the first run off. Then, I add 170 degree water stir the grain and circulate at 170 for 5 minutes. Then sparge up the BK to pre boil amount. I do 1 hour boils with about 1 gallon boil off. I have been getting in the high 70's/ low 80's eff.
My question is: I want to start doing 10 gallon batches and try double batch sparging. There is alot of information on the site about. Should I keep doing the samething and splitting the sparge water? I would like to get my eff. a little higher.

Just a thought...

Why don't you just go ahead and fly sparge since you're going to the trouble to recirculate?
After recirculating your mash, connect your HLT to the pump and let the MLT drain to the kettle. You can pump the entire contents of the HLT nice and slow over the grain bed. That way you don't have to stir the grain once the filter bed sets, you get nice clean polished wort that way.

Another thought...

70%-80% is GREAT efficiency! Not if your Budwiser where every nickel counts, but for the homebrewer its great. You can get 90% fly sparging but it will take twice the time to run off, and the risk of tannin extraction if that runoff gravity gets too low, not to mention the extra sparge water for those bigger beers, and then longer boils... bla bla bla

There is a reason so many of the medal winners shoot for 70%!

There's a lot of info on increasing your efficiency with batch sparging but I'll summarize.
Finer crush (assuming it isn't already on the verge of flour)
Reduce deadspace/leave no wort behind in the tun.
More discrete sparge infusions.
Equal sized runoffs

I put those in order of most impact to least.

I agree that low 80's is exactly where you want to be anyway.

Bobby knows his stuff... also has a lot of helpful videos on youtube.

Thanks for the advise. I feel a little better. I'm going to do a 10 gallon simple blond ale. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ok. Last week I brewed a 10 Gallon batch. I batch sparged. According to Promash, I hit my numbers. 14.5lbs maris otter @ OG 1.040= 80% efficengy. 12.5 gallon @ boil 11 gallons end of boil. I'm were I need to be. Thx

Back