ale yeast and cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notnice

Reaction score
Is it advisable to rack off the cider from the lees after fermentation or just like Apfelwein do u just leave it until it clears.

Just in case
5gals Mott's A.J.
1# corn sugar
s-05 yeast

Thanks In advance

Edit: Sorry cant fix the title

I would be inclined to leave that on the yeast cake for several weeks at least. I have only ever made four batches of hard cider, but they are getting better.

Really I would let the recipe above age at least six months after bottling, and nothing to gain by rushing it off the cake into bottles.

M2c.

I say nothing about bottling. Just don't know if I should take her off the lees and put to 2nd or not like apfelwein.

Leave it on the lees for 3-4 weeks, I believe that's pretty standard procedure. Allowing it to sit in primary for a this amount of time allows the yeast to "clean up" after themselves, which I would assume means metabolize their byproducts from the furious fermentation of days gone by. Although I'm certainly no expert so I can't explain the science behind the pros and/or cons of allowing your cider to sit on the lees for a month.

I usually let the cider sit in primary for a month minimum, although I have left it in the primary for as long as 4 months before with no ill effects so far, and actually, I think it's one of my better batches.

i usually leave my Apfelwein in primary for 6-8 weeks then bottle cause its Cristal clear then bottle. just seeing if thats OK with using ale yeast

Thanks Freeze thats what I wanted to hear. I'm in no hurry in fact quite the opposite. I would rather leave it alone. I was just worried about the "off" flavors I keep hearing about.
I also have a few other ciders and a mead going. and a couple batches of Apfelwein in bottles so there is no rush. :)

Back