Keeping te CO2 tank outside the fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I'm thinking about starting to keep my tank outside the Sanyo. With a dual regulator it's very crowded in there and makes it hard for me to check in the psi and make adjustments. I've seen photos of tanks on the outside and am wondering what I need to do to run the gas lines in?
Thanks as always!

I have mine inside, but I've seen several set-ups (pictures) of people drilling new access holes for the hose. Some will use the drain hole.

If I were to locate the tank outside I would run 1 line from the tank to the inside and then add a splitter inside to go to the 2 kegs...;) :D

Thats exactly what I have done. Splitter inside going to two kegs. Used the drain hole to lead the line outside to the CO2 tank

I have a regular size fridge (freezer on top) and I could fit 6 cornies in it if I didn't have the Co2 tank in there.

Does anyone know how I can figure out where the coolant lines are in the walls so I can drill safely? I don't think there is a drain hole. Would it be better to somehow drill a hole in the floor where there are (probably) not coolant lines?

I drilled two holes in my sanyo and have a 2-way manifold on the back of the fridge so I can force carb one at 30psi while the other stays around 10psi. With the tank outside the fridge it's also easier to adjust the regulator. And if my 5lb co2 tank is empty, I can hook up my 20lb until I get the 5lb filled again.

IMG_0102_Custom_.JPG

i saw someone using some sort of quick disconnect on their gas line. is there a special type recommended for gas?

drunkatuw said:
I drilled two holes in my sanyo and have a 2-way manifold on the back of the fridge so I can force carb one at 30psi while the other stays around 10psi. With the tank outside the fridge it's also easier to adjust the regulator. And if my 5lb co2 tank is empty, I can hook up my 20lb until I get the 5lb filled again.

IMG_0102_Custom_.JPG

Did you have any issue drilling in the drip tray there? I just finished up my Sanyo kegerator but want to run my tank outside the fridge.

Augie said:
Did you have any issue drilling in the drip tray there? I just finished up my Sanyo kegerator but want to run my tank outside the fridge.

Nope, I felt along the back of the hump and it's just a thin piece of plastic. A drill with a spade bit went right thru it.

I just went through the drainhole in the back no drilling required. I love life with the tank outside the fridge.

I too went through the drain hole, but of course that's only a single line with a splitter. If I wanted dual regulators, I'd either buy a couple ganged secondary regulators, and put them inside, or drill it like a couple of the above posters have done.

Funkenjaeger said:
I too went through the drain hole, but of course that's only a single line with a splitter. If I wanted dual regulators, I'd either buy a couple ganged secondary regulators, and put them inside, or drill it like a couple of the above posters have done.
Yeah, I definitely wanted a manifold so I could quick charge one keg while closing the gas to another keg that was already charged.

BierMuncher said:
drunkatuw, that looks familiar. :D

I won't lie, I peaked in your gallery before drilling my sanyo :) I even used to have a 4-way manifold, but later replaced it with a 2-way so that I could use the 4-way in my "carbing and conditioning" fridge which holds 4 kegs.

I went through the drain hole, but had to pull the plastic out first. I was using 5/16" line and it was stopping up the hole. I just pulled out the plastic and lined the exposed insulation with metal tape.

scottfro said:
i saw someone using some sort of quick disconnect on their gas line. is there a special type recommended for gas?

i plan on getting on of these

with my next order from them. Then i can just keep a MFL Ball lock connector handy in case i need to take my tank with me somewhere.

Back