Central Ohio Group Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wolfhound. I'm in Cincinnati, but think the gas costs to Columbus and back would probably eat up the savings on the grain. Good luck though. Wish there was one down here.

I am interested. I usually get my two row at Gentiles and speciality grains from online sources.

Ajgeo said:
I am interested. I usually get my two row at Gentiles and speciality grains from online sources.

I buy mine at Gentiles as well. I like that store but $55 for 2 row is pricy.

bw800402 said:
What is the minimum order?

I don't even have a source, I was just looking if people would be interested in one. I have been looking for a group buy in the area for awhile and haven't seen anything.

the country malt group used to have good prices for bulk buy. Not sure if they still sell to homebrewers though.

Hey Wolfhound. I'm in Cincinnati, but think the gas costs to Columbus and back would probably eat up the savings on the grain. Good luck though. Wish there was one down here.

well if you bought more then one bag of 2 row it would be...last one I was in 2 row was $28...and if you could get 2 or 3 people from the area just split gas cost...

from what i understand country malters will only allow a group buy if you've done one in the past...

I don't even have a source, I was just looking if people would be interested in one. I have been looking for a group buy in the area for awhile and haven't seen anything.

I've run several group buys through MCM. IIRC, we capped it at 100 bags. I'll probably run one again in the fall. Several folks from your area participated in the last one. I know it's much help for you now, though. If you can wait until fall, I always advertise the buy here.

Hugh_Jass said:
I've run several group buys through MCM. IIRC, we capped it at 100 bags. I'll probably run one again in the fall. Several folks from your area participated in the last one. I know it's much help for you now, though. If you can wait until fall, I always advertise the buy here.

That's good news. I will definitely be getting in on that one.

i'd be down to jump in on that fall group buy as well. I also do know a guy here in columbus that gets a pallet of two row and could probably point us in the right direction for a vendor.

Also I've heard that there is a brewery here in town that will sell some of their 2 row. I haven't contacted them my self but i have heard it from two other homebrewers. Not sure what the secret password is but the price they quoted was cheaper than gentiles.

Most every other option is cheaper than gentiles. If it weren't for mama mimi's and convenience................

I'm in Chillicothe and would be down for a buy. I'm definitely going to try and get in on the one this fall.

FWIW you can get 2row from Neilhousebrewery for 50 bucks. A little cheaper than Gentiles. Some of their grains are significantly cheaper, especially if you buy 10+ lbs anyway. Their hours kinda suck though, but I guess if you can't make money why be open.

http://neilhousebrewery.com/shop/index.html

I've had terrible luck with neilhouse and their inventory. I've been there three or four times and they are always out of basic things. One time no two row sacks, another no basic American ale liquid yeast. It just drove me nuts that I was wasting trips so I started going to gentiles for my sacks. Plus gentiles supports the local brew club. I got a sack of 2 row there for 49 bucks.

They've only not had what I wanted (US05, which is also pretty standard) once, so that hasn't been that bad for me. I can definitely see how they would be like that though. However, the only day I can get there is Saturday, but they seem to always have something else going on and close the shop. A trip up from Chilli and when you walk up the door is locked sucks.

Yea Neilhouse's hours are interesting but I like to hang out there with those guys. I go to Gentiles a lot more simply because it's so close to campus. Hops and yeast are much cheaper to buy online though. Gentiles has the best selection in Columbus that I have found so far.

I really wish that I had the time to set up a group buy because I just spent 53.99 on a sack of pale malt. It hurts!

I just got back from chicago, and on the way out and back i stopped at a place called great fermentations. So jealous we dont have a place like that in columbus. Got two all grain kits for under 30 yeast and all. One is an iba.

Maybe we should just start a homebrew co-op. :)

Dolomieu said:
I just got back from chicago, and on the way out and back i stopped at a place called great fermentations. So jealous we dont have a place like that in columbus. Got two all grain kits for under 30 yeast and all. One is an iba.

Maybe we should just start a homebrew co-op. :)

+1 just need some storage space with a truck ramp or forklift and to register as a "homebrew shop". Or maybe SODZ should just do this.

Also how about a community hop garden?

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is... The shop is in Hillsboro, Oregon (a suburb of Portland).

Dolomieu said:
i'd be down to jump in on that fall group buy as well. I also do know a guy here in columbus that gets a pallet of two row and could probably point us in the right direction for a vendor.

Also I've heard that there is a brewery here in town that will sell some of their 2 row. I haven't contacted them my self but i have heard it from two other homebrewers. Not sure what the secret password is but the price they quoted was cheaper than gentiles.

Most every other option is cheaper than gentiles. If it weren't for mama mimi's and convenience................

I know that it's been a while, but have you heard from your friend that gets pallets of grain?

If it would help, I work in Columbus once a week, and could bring some of the Cincy folks grain down. I live just east of Milford. Would be closer than everybody running to Columbus, if thats where it was to be delivered.

I know that it's been a while, but have you heard from your friend that gets pallets of grain?

I've ssen him but completely forgot to talk to him. Sorry guys. I got sent of to texas for work. Ill be back in town for the fourth so maybe i can run into him. Again sorry for slacking

Dolomieu said:
I've ssen him but completely forgot to talk to him. Sorry guys. I got sent of to texas for work. Ill be back in town for the fourth so maybe i can run into him. Again sorry for slacking

Don't sweat it. You aren't slacking. Have fun in Texas. I lived there for 22 years and loved it!

Oh and you will probably never complain about the "heat" up here in Ohio again.

"Heat" in ohio is very real. Ive worked in alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi as well. Bush wacking in rubber pants (waders). It all sucks in my opinion, each in their on way. I actually hate Nebraska heat the most as there is no cover in the whole damn state.

Any way i wont be in ohio more than a couple week long breaks until the end of september. Ill email my buddy or call him when im driving to Nebraska this next wed or thurs day i hope. If anything comes of it i will let you all know. Sorry again for delay and lack of movement on my part.

Dolomieu said:
"Heat" in ohio is very real. Ive worked in alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi as well. Bush wacking in rubber pants (waders). It all sucks in my opinion, each in their on way. I actually hate Nebraska heat the most as there is no cover in the whole damn state.

Any way i wont be in ohio more than a couple week long breaks until the end of september. Ill email my buddy or call him when im driving to Nebraska this next wed or thurs day i hope. If anything comes of it i will let you all know. Sorry again for delay and lack of movement on my part.

Cool. We must have different definitions of heat then. Ohio heat is a joke to me. It's relative to what a person is used to I guess.

Couple of months later... I live near Athens and would definitely be interested in a group buy. Let me know if this is still a possible thing.

I'm in Cbus and would definitely go in for a group buy of grain and/or hops.

A community hop garden sounds awesome too, planning to plant my first this coming spring. Wonder if we could get something going in Whetstone or another city park.

Also, am I the only one that gets supplies at The Winemakers Shop on High St? They are pricey, but almost always have what I need for grains, hops, and yeast (with the exception of White Labs). Plus I like that I can call ahead and have everything ready for me when I get there.

I still shop Gentiles, but WMS is closer and takes less time to get in and out. Of course that may be because WMS doesn't sell beer ;)

I would probably be up for a GB. Thougt about starting growing some hops also but I thought the time and space needed would probably be prohibitive.

I go to the Wine Maker's Shop also. The small items like racking cane clips, carboy thermometer strips, washers and stands are what I find the biggest discrepancy in price on. I usually just suck it up though, because I'm a newbie and still like seeing and holding the things in my hand while I figure out my plan in my head. Other items that are large and/or heavy seem to be priced fairly once you factor in the shipping.
I also scour the restuarant supply stores.

Back