Long secondary, do I need more yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch at the end of Sept. Sat in primary for around a week, then racked to secondary (I know didn't need to, but was going from LHBS instructions).

I kind of forgot about it.. So it's been in secondary for like 5 weeks. Am I going to need to pitch more yeast, or otherwise do anymore extra to ensure it gets carbed after bottling?

Thanks!!

Kosch

I agree with Yooper... with a then instead of a though :)

wow thats weird... I am usually the one getting corrected... I should drink and type more often!

Awesome, thanks everyone! Going to be bottling tonight!

As a quick aside, this is my second batch. First batch followed their FIRST instructions, which, well, were less than adequate. I've learned SO much from here (that just seems logical), what a great group of people.

Thanks!

Kosch

Awesome, thanks everyone! Going to be bottling tonight!

As a quick aside, this is my second batch. First batch followed their FIRST instructions, which, well, were less than adequate. I've learned SO much from here (that just seems logical), what a great group of people.

Thanks!

Kosch

I think we're pretty great, too! When I had a question about a beer, I googled "homebrew" or something and found this forum. The forum was so nice, and answered my questions so well, that I stuck around. And now, more than 5 years later I moderate this forum! Unbelievable, really.

Of course, I blame this forum for 5 wasted years and $5000 of expenses towards beer!!!!!!

I think we're pretty great, too! When I had a question about a beer, I googled "homebrew" or something and found this forum. The forum was so nice, and answered my questions so well, that I stuck around. And now, more than 5 years later I moderate this forum! Unbelievable, really.

Of course, I blame this forum for 5 wasted years and $5000 of expenses towards beer!!!!!!

That is so true. I've spent a lot of time on forums (for other hobbies/obsessions/addictions lol), but everything I hit google for something, it takes me back here to posts with straight proper answers.

I think I've just crossed the $1000 mark and I only started 2 months ago, adds up FAST! lol BUT... I'm enjoying it, so it's well worth it!

I would almost never contradict Yooper, but I'm going to have to say pitch a little extra yeast. It will carb without it, yes, but it may take longer, as in months longer. Particularly if it is a high gravity beer, the yeast have been through some abuse. I had an 10% IPA I bottled in May after a 2 month primary, and it literally took 3 months to carb. Same thing happened with a 12% abv quadrupel I did (damn thing STILL isn't carbed.) I always put a nice dash of Nottingham whenever I bottle anything high gravity now, and it really makes a difference.

Back